From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Systemd and journald Was: Systemd
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2014 10:12:21
1 Jonathan Callen posted on Sat, 15 Mar 2014 02:21:38 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > The correct way to do this is to create the file with contents like the
4 > following:
5 >
6 > [Service]
7 > ExecStart=
8 > ExecStart=/usr/bin/gpm --my --options
9 >
10 > The first ExecStart= line is a special case that tells systemd to unset
11 > the ExecStart parameter completely so you can override it (instead of
12 > adding additional commands to run on startup).
13
14 Thanks. I'll try that.
15
16 (I had thought about it as I had read something to that effect, but I
17 only thought it applied to resetting accumulatives, and save for oneshot
18 types, execstart must be single-shot, thus the problem in the first
19 place. But if you say it works... and this /will/ be my first time using
20 the reset technique.)
21
22 But I'm rebooted with openrc ATM. I needed to test if the /var/tmp bind-
23 mount to the tmpfs on /tmp would work in openrc or not (it did), and
24 decided while I was at it that I needed a break from worrying about
25 systemd, to get some other things done, including an emerge update on top
26 of something I was familiar with, since I hadn't updated in over a week,
27 due to focusing on getting systemd working.
28
29 Meanwhile, my next big systemd-land hump to get over is deciding whether
30 I want to reactivate syslog-ng as my general purpose logger (with journald
31 set storage=volatile, as I set that temporarily while I figured things
32 out), or whether I want to unmerge syslog-ng and switch entirely to
33 journald, setting storage=persistent.
34
35 If I switch to journald I'll have to seriously investigate filtering, as
36 among other things I've one script that does an sudo every 10 seconds
37 (IIRC), and while I have sudo's logging already configured separately,
38 there's still an sudo-related pamd entry spit to syslog for each of
39 those. I have syslog-ng set to simply dump those but I noticed them in
40 journald when I set it to output to tty12, too -- when that script was
41 running the tty12 output was unusable as it was all but 100% noise from
42 that. I was glad I had storage=volatile set!
43
44 The other alternative, since that 10-second sudo is actually log related
45 too (being effectively a /var/log/messages tail to superkaramba when I'm
46 in X/kde), is to figure out how to do something similar using journald,
47 without the sudo but without giving the graphical user unlimited log-
48 checking privs (sudo is setup to allow that one very specific command,
49 not anything else, presently).
50
51 But regardless, I'll need to learn how to manage filtering in journald
52 anyway; this is simply the first and most pressing reason to do so, not
53 the only one.
54
55 And of course if I switch to journald I'll need to adjust that script
56 anyway... ideally by configuring journald to write an unprivileged tail
57 log (say 20 lines or whatever) to somewhere on tmpfs so all I'll need to
58 do in superkaramba is to have it output that file directly, avoiding the
59 script entirely.
60
61 IOW, now I have to basically repeat for journald the same process I did
62 for systemd in general, figure out what it would take to convert to it,
63 and whether I actually want to, or whether I'd prefer to keep journald
64 set to storage=volatile and simply forward to syslog-ng, mostly keeping
65 the existing (somewhat advanced for a single host) syslog-ng
66 configuration in place.
67
68 I'm thinking about just punting for now, activating syslog-ng pretty much
69 with the existing config (changed my existing syslog-ng filters as
70 necessary to deal with any systemd specific logging) in systemd, and
71 keeping journald set storage=volatile.
72
73 But that's why I'm taking a rest from systemd ATM, back on openrc, to
74 study journald at my leisure now that I have systemd itself more or less
75 setup and am thus familiar with /its/ workings, and then give my
76 subconscious time to weigh the syslog/journal options and come to its own
77 decision, before I make the conscious decision and get down and dirty in
78 the config, implementing it.
79
80 Meanwhile, with a bit of luck gentoo/systemd and the various upstreams
81 will work thru the systemd-209+ networking and dracut related issues, and
82 I'll have a more permanent networkd based systemd-network service config
83 to replace my current temporary network.service hack, by the time I get
84 the journald stuff worked out and hopefully switch over to systemd more
85 or less permanently.
90 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman