From: Drake Donahue <donahue95@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] boot Gentoo from USB key
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 18:27:48
1 ----- Original Message -----
2 From: "Drake Donahue" <donahue95@×××××××.net>
3 To: <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
4 Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 2:03 PM
5 Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] boot Gentoo from USB key
9 > ----- Original Message -----
10 > From: "Raffaele BELARDI" <raffaele.belardi@××.com>
11 > To: "gentoo-amd64" <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
12 > Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 2:43 AM
13 > Subject: [gentoo-amd64] boot Gentoo from USB key
16 >> In the process of building an amd64 diskless box, I am trying to make a
17 >> bootable USB key with no success up to now.
18 >>
19 >> The first problem I encountered was related to ext2/vfat. I initially
20 >> tried to format the key as ext2, but grub refuses to install on it. Even
21 >> though I copied the /boot/grub/* directory into the key, and I see it is
22 >> there, grub does not see it. The problem does not happen with vfat.
23 >>
24 >> So I worked around that and created two partitions in the key, a small
25 >> vfat for the /boot and a 2Gb ext2 for the /. I copied the stage3 into
26 >> the / with no problem. In the /boot I put the kernel image which I am
27 >> already using on the same box, for now with discs still connected. All
28 >> the modules are compiled in.
29 >>
30 >> When I boot from the key, grub enters the shell (although I did create
31 >> the grub.conf and menu.1st, so I don't understand why it doesn't show
32 >> the menu). I manually specify the kernel file location and root
33 >> parameter:
34 >>
35 >>> kernel /linux-2.6.24-gentoo-r4 root=/dev/sdg1
36 >>> boot
37 >>
38 >> The kernel starts to load, but panics because it is unable to find the
39 >> root partition. When it stops it shows the available partitions, these
40 >> include all the hard disk partitions but no USB key partition. In fact,
41 >> if I omit the 'root' parameter from the grub shell the boot works fine
42 >> but it uses the hard disk root partition instead of the USB one.
43 >>
44 >>>From the log on the screen the USB controller seems correctly detected,
45 >> so I don't understand why it is not finding the root. While writing this
46 >> one idea comes to my mind, maybe it is failing because I attach the key
47 >> to a SDC/MMC/USB card reader? This evening I'll try to plug it into a
48 >> different USB slot.
49 >>
50 >> Any other ideas welcome.
51 >>
52 >> raffaele
53 >>
54 >> --
55 >> gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list
56 >>
57 > Other ideas and SWAGS:
58 >
59 > This link may be useful:
60 > http://www.bootdisk.com/pendrive.htm
61 >
62 > Perhaps the pen drive manufacturer did you favors and added some control
63 > software?
64 > I had a similar problem with fdisk results that I attributed to the
65 > helpful manufacturer putting some extra software on the drive to add
66 > features for the windows user (the bootable flag would have disappeared
67 > upon reboot, the pen drive would not appear in BIOS). I may have been
68 > right. I used the HP utilities referenced in the link to rewrite the
69 > recalcitrant pen drive into a psuedo floppy drive with linux on board (HP
70 > provides a linux based windows computer troubleshooting tool!).
71
72 Instead of HP utilities, maybe, quoting:
73 Solution:
74 <snip>When you boot into a command shell, as root, simply pick the drive you
75 want to fill [with zeros], sdg presumed, and use the command:
76
77 Code:
78 dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdg bs=1MWARNING! This will destroy ALL data on the
79 hard (pen) drive, all boot sector info and all data on all partitions. It
80 will not however render the disk useless, you simply have a clean disk that
81 only needs to have partitions created and a new boot sector installed, which
82 will happen when you install any OS including Linux or Windows. This is a
83 good way to clean up any bad partitions, viruses, botched installs or data
84 that you don't want to be seen (OK, it is theoretically possible to
85 forensically retrieve data after using this method, but not likely and not
86 doable by the average computer user) and it is simple to do with existing
87 GNU/Linux!
88
89 After verifying that I could boot the pen
90 > drive as though it were a huge floppy, I rebooted to my hard drive and
91 > used fdisk to delete existing partitions on the pen drive, created a
92 > bootable partition, wrote the new partition table, exited fdisk, and
93 > formatted it ext2. On reboot it showed as a bootable hard drive in BIOS.
94 > Encouraged, I rebooted to the hard drive. Mounted the pen drive and copied
95 > /boot from the hard drive to it. Create dummy directory on the pendrive:
96 >>mkdir {pendrive path}/pendrive
97 > Keeping the problem simple, the machine had one sata hard drive, one ide
98 > dvd, and the one pen drive.
99 > The major problems at this point were identifying which (hd?) to use in
100 > editing the grub.conf and in running grub itself.
101 >>umount {pendrive}
102 >>grub
103 >>root (hd0,1)
104 >>root (hd1,1)
105 >>find /pendrive
106 >>quit
107 > As the pen drive first (0) partition was the only ext2 partition on the
108 > machine, only one of the two commands would expose an ext2 filesystem; in
109 > my case (hd1,1). Find should provide the same information.
110 > If the pen drive is the selected boot drive for my motherboard it will be
111 > (hd0) for bios and grub.
112 > So the pen drive grub.conf edits to:
113 > timeout 5
114 > default 0
115 > fallback 1
116 > splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
117 >
118 > title USB Flash boot
119 > root (hd0,0)
120 > kernel (hd0,0)/boot/bzImage root=/dev/sdb1
121 >
122 > title Gentoo Linux on hard drive, first partition (hd1,0)
123 > root (hd1,0)
124 > kernel (hd1,0)/boot/bzImage root=/dev/sda1
125 >
126 > So far my hard drive always /dev/sda pendrive /dev/sdb. As a slob, I put
127 > everything on one partition so all catastrophes can be catastrophic.
128 >
129 > Still need to install grub so proper stage 1 and 1.5 and dynamic links can
130 > be written:
131 >
132 >>grub
133 >>root (hd1,0) #should confirm unique ext2 file system in my case
134 >>setup (hd1)
135 >>quit
136 >
137 > Proceeding in similar fashion should allow you to select the kernel on the
138 > pen drive from grub and watch it load to the point where it can't find the
139 > system because no system is on the pen drive.
140 >
141 > Copying the system files may not quite work. Got some copy errors while
142 > doing the libraries. Playing with 512 mb pen drive so no room to copy
143 > /sys. Can verify that I completed kernel load and got into init.before
144 > lack of needed files started an endless reboot cycle with boot sbin bin
145 > etc libraries directories present.
146 >
147 > .
148 > --
149 > gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list