From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Hard drive (installation)
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 01:50:57
1 On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 9:40 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > Rich Freeman posted on Thu, 29 Aug 2013 15:56:10 -0400 as excerpted:
3 >> You did mention USB3, as did others in this thread. Hopefully this is
4 >> obvious to all, but under no circumstances should you try to run an OS
5 >> on USB2 or less.
6 >
7 > People did it for years before USB3 and SATA2/3 arrived...
8
9 Anybody with a motherboard supporting USB2 almost certainly had a
10 motherboard supporting PATA at a faster transfer rate.
11
12 I do agree that random access speed does lower the effective rate. My
13 hard drives are running at 3GB/s transfer rates each on a dedicated
14 channel, and yet they're probably not any faster than they would have
15 been under PATA (assuming one drive per cable).
16
17 Hopefully one of these days there will be a decent SSD cache option
18 for Linux. Bcache is still fairly experimental, and I'm not sure how
19 well it performs in practice with btrfs - plus it is a device layer
20 and not filesystem layer implementation (ie if you have mirrored
21 drives you end up with mirrored cache which seems a bit dumb,
22 especially if the mirrors end up being on separate partitions on the
23 same device).
24
25 Rich