From: Alex Alexander <alex.alexander@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-amd64@l.g.o" <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Memory usage; 32 bit vs 64 bit.
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 20:05:02
1 On 3 Jan 2011, at 20:34, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Hi folks,
4 >
5 > I recently built me a new 64 bit system. My old 32 bit system has 2Gbs and my new system has 4Gbs. I was expecting it to use about the same amount of memory but noticed it uses a good bit more on the new system than the old one. With just the normal stuff open, I use about 1.5Gbs of ram. My old system would use a little over half that. I have the same settings on both.
6 >
7 > Is this difference because 64 bit programs use more memory, maybe they are larger than 32 bit programs? Just curious. I notice that Seamonkey uses more and KDE's plasma-desktop uses more. Those are generally the biggest users.
8 >
9 > I'm not complaining about the usage, just curious as to why the difference.
10 >
11 > Dale
12 >
16 Are you sure you're checking your free ram correctly? run "free" and check the buffers/cache line :)
17
18 Alex | wired | sent from my i4