From: Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Please get me straight about sysvinit vs. systemd, udev vs eudev vs mdev, virtuals and other things...
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 19:26:31
1 Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> skribis:
2 > I hope that you are right, but when I see distributions like "Linux
3 > From Scratch," which purport to give the user total understanding
4 > and control of his system, not including alternatives to udev I begin
5 > to have serious doubts.
6
7 Having built LFS and CLFS systems, I can say the process is not very
8 informative, at least not anymore. It is basically like those old
9 Radio Shack electronics kits where they told you what to solder where,
10 but you still were given very little if any idea how the device
11 worked. Stick udev here, stick pam there, etc. What you _do_ learn is
12 (a) how to bootstrap a Linux OS from another Linux OS (in a bit more
13 detail than you learn with modern Gentoo) and (b) how to use GNU
14 Autotools much more effectively. This is like learning how to solder,
15 but not like learning electronics.
16
17 I do not see what is so difficult to understand about our
18 position. Imagine if Gentoo started requiring that you use a generic
19 kernel, because upstream software no longer worked if you configured
20 your own kernel. You’d still be getting free-as-in-beer software, but
21 effectively you would have lost some of your liberty.