From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Dual Head
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 17:20:32
1 On Thursday 13 July 2006 08:50, "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote
2 about 'Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Dual Head':
3 > On 7/13/06, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
4 > <SNIP>
5 > slaveryware
6 > <SNIP>
7 > freedomware
8 > <SNIP>
9 >
10 > Must we use such charged language around here?
11
12 Duncan's had this discussion with a number of people, I'm sure. I seem to
13 remember this list (or another gentoo list) having a small sub-thread
14 about it. Actually, it got me thinking and, now, among company that
15 understands the sentiment I use the same terminology along with
16 smatterings of "too bad I can't use <that> in the free world".
17
18 I choose not to use it on the list or most other setting, because it rubs
19 some people wrong, particularly the word "slaveryware" [1]. Generally,
20 this is because people see it as making light of slavery. I don't; EULAs
21 and the vast majority of software licenses in use today *do* take away
22 your rights and attempt to put you in shackles so you can't get away.
23 It's unfortunate that people see this as acceptable, but then again there
24 were hundreds of years of human history in which slavery was seen as
25 acceptable.
26
27 Then again, I'm pretty far "out there" even among my friends. Just as
28 selling yourself into slavery was made illegal, I do see a time when Rule
29 of Law will prevent one from giving/trading/selling away their software
30 freedoms. I do hope that there are some allowances made from the
31 artistic/creative aspects of source code (and software in general).
32
33 In any case, Duncan's not going to change. If you are offended I encourage
34 you to take up the issue with Duncan off-list. If that will/does not
35 satisfy you, you will probably need to just killfile Duncan and hope "such
36 charged language" doesn't get quoted too often.
39 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
40 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
41 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
42 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh
43
44 [1] "Freedomware" is usually less of an issue since it's really just a
45 alternate shortening of "Free/Libre, Open-Source Software"
46 normally "F/LOSS". Personally I like "freedomware" because it helps
47 emphasize what Stallman, GNU, and the FSF provide with their software:
48 freedom.