From: Jared Lindsay <cinder.sub@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Video cards
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 02:37:53
1 My 6800 works great. You can pick up a 6600GT in your price range,
2 and probably a 6800 vanilla. amd64 support is much better than ati's
3 offerings.
4
5 On 12/12/05, John C. Shimek <jcshimek@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > I am running 64bit Gentoo (of course) and looking at upgrading video
7 > cards. I have an ATI 8500LE right now. I have that working ok I am
8 > having one problem. I am trying to use learn Blender. It crashes at a
9 > certain point due to a bug in Mesa. There is a bug report for this and
10 > it has been fixed upstream in Mesa 6.3. I have 6.2 and since that seems
11 > to be bundled in with Xorg, I think, I don't know how to upgrade to a
12 > newer Mesa. I have tried the Modular Xorg (with Mesa 6.4) but
13 > xorg-server won't build. I went back to the latest stable one. I then
14 > tried the ati-drivers. It compiles, I get direct rendering but X
15 > crashes and complains about unknown symbols.
16 >
17 > I am think I just want to get a new card, mine is 4 years old. I am
18 > thinking nVidia. I am wondering what is good in the 100-200USD range?
19 > And how good is the support for amd64? \
20 >
21 > Thank you
22 > John C. Shimek
23 > --