From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Machine recommendations?
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 04:20:02
1 Rich Freeman posted on Sat, 14 Mar 2015 08:10:07 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 7:43 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> The quad-core, 2+ GHz CPU @ 25W power dissipation should be plenty of
6 >> power, even for playing media (one review said 80% usage of all four
7 >> cores for 1080p, however, which it'll handle, but realistically not 4k,
8 >> when I eventually even have a display that'll do 4k), and it should de-
9 >> clock and power-down for routing-only. And that dissipation, quite
10 >> fans shouldn't be a big issue.
13 > If you want to play HD video on an mini-ITX MB you're better off using
14 > one designed for this. I have an aging NVidia ION board that plays
15 > 1080p without a hitch as my mythtv frontend. However, you are limited
16 > to codecs that are supported by hardware decoding - I doubt I'd get full
17 > HD on software decoding.
18 >
19 > This is a router, right?
20 >
21 > When you want a cheap tiny board that consumes 10s of watts with an
22 > external power supply and doesn't need a fan, you are going to have to
23 > decide in advance what your priorities are. It isn't like a $250
24 > CPU+MB+RAM system with a 500W power supply that is a general purpose
25 > computing device.
28 You are certainly correct for full-hd.
29
30 But one of the big threads I read about the am1 chipset and cpus was on a
31 media-player-machine forum. It seems unaccelerated full-hd is just
32 beyond what it can do, such that it's viewable, but with obvious dropped-
33 frames, etc. But accelerated using the built-in Radeon hd8xxx (whatever
34 it was) graphics... it can actually do quite well.
35
36 I was actually rather pleasantly surprised, as I hadn't even considered
37 that use-case. =:^)
38
39 They did mention that full-hd youtube with the html5 player did have
40 substantial dropouts, etc. Switching it back to flash, which made better
41 use of acceleration, apparently, was far better.
42
43 But of course I don't do flash as it's proprietary, tho I've definitely
44 been enjoying the new default-html5 youtube in firefox on my main machine
45 recently. =:^)
46
47 Anyway, now that the possibility has been opened to me, what I actually
48 had in mind was for the demanding stuff when I'm actually watching it,
49 continue to play that on the main machine. But, for when I pull up those
50 "12 hours of rain" things on minitube that are often (but not always)
51 lower resolution or possibly periodically changing freeze-framed anyway,
52 there's a very good chance I'll be able to play /those/ directly on the
53 router, at least, shutting off the main machine for them.
54
55 And by the same token, I could put mpd on the router and control it via
56 mpd-client of choice run either on the router directly or the main
57 machine. That's pure audio, no video, so it should play just fine on the
58 router. =:^)
59
60 Meanwhile, if it turns out none of that works after all, and certainly if
61 I do the aggressive routing/firewalling/shaping management I want to be
62 /able/ to[1], I don't expect to be playing anything on it at the same
63 time as well. But I don't expect to be doing that intense level of
64 routing/shaping/firewalling /all/ the time, or even in the "immediate"
65 future, so...
66
67 ---
68 [1] Cox, my local cableco, is advertising "gigablast" speeds in the area,
69 symmetric 1 gigabit both up and down, for those willing to pay the
70 upwards of $100/mo they're asking and lucky enough to be in the early
71 rollout area. I may or may not be, but even the 150 mbit speeds
72 available in most of the rest of the valley needs a gigabit-ethernet wan
73 port, which my legacy setup doesn't have, and I want to at least be ready
74 whether I get it or not, thus this whole project... which after all I've
75 not actually spent anything but time on yet, tho it's looking very likely
76 I will within days or weeks, now.
80 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman