From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-user@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block(2,0)
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 19:02:41
1 Felipe Ribeiro posted <439C7034.5040500@×××××.com>, excerpted below, on
2 Sun, 11 Dec 2005 15:30:12 -0300:
3
4 > Hi all,
5 >
6 > I've just installed Gentoo 2005.1-r1 on my amd64 box and i've got this
7 > problem while rebooting:
8 >
9 > Root-NFS: No NFS server available giving up.
10 > VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, trying floppy.
11 > VFS: Insert root floppy and press ENTER
12 > end-request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
13 > VFS: Cannot open root device hda2 or unknown-block(2,0)
14 > Please append a correct "root=" boot option.
15 > Kerenel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
16 > unknown-block(2,0)
19 > What should i do? is it a grub configuration problem? or kernel compilation?
20 >
21 > Here is my grub.conf
22 >
23 > #
24 > # Sample boot menu configuration file
25 > #
26 >
27 > # Boot automatically after 30 secs.
28 > timeout 10
29 >
30 > # By default, boot the first entry.
31 > default 1 #SECOND
32 >
33 > # Fallback to the second entry.
34 > fallback 1
35 >
36 > #splashimage=(hd0,1)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
37 > #GENTOO
38 > title Gentoo Linux
39 > root (hd0,1)
40 > kernel /boot/bzImage-2.6.14 root=/dev/hda2
41 > #initrd /initrd.img
42 >
43 > # For booting Windows NT or Windows95
44 > title Windows XP
45 > rootnoverify (hd0,0)
46 > makeactive
47 > chainloader +1
48 > # For loading DOS if Windows NT is installed
49 > # chainload /bootsect.dos
50 >
51 > root (hd0,1)
52 > setup (hd0)
53
54 Do you have a separate /boot partition, or is it on your root partition?
55 As you have it setup, it tries to use (hd0,1), which means /dev/hda2 (grub
56 is zero-based, remember), then you tell the kernel to use the same
57 partition as it's root partition. If you have your /boot on root, that's
58 what you want, and it IS apparently finding the kernel, or you wouldn't
59 get that error -- the kernel loads but can't find it's root. If you have
60 a separate partition for root and /boot, then that's wrong. You
61 apparently have grub's root configured correctly (the root (hd0,1) line),
62 or it wouldn't find the kernel -- it's the kernel's root= parameter that
63 needs corrected.
64
65 The other possibility, if /boot is on your root file system so it's not
66 the above, is that you didn't properly configure the necessary stuff to
67 load root, into the kernel, or your initrd/initramfs isn't working
68 properly. I don't know much about initrd/initramfs, but under ordinary
69 circumstances, you won't need that, as long as you've properly configured
70 the file system type and the chipset drivers for your hard drive into the
71 kernel itself, NOT as modules.
76 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
77 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
81 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list