From: Billy Holmes <billy@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Best Desktop Patchset for kernel
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 22:15:09
1 Karol Krizka wrote:
2 > read the Gentoo Kernel Guide and from it seems to me that ck-sources
3 > are the best.
4
5 I use ck-sources, but from the rc-releases (patched myself) for my
6 desktop as I like to test things, and I use ck-sources (server) on the
7 office terminal server.
8
9 I like ck-sources because it was the only one that supported cfq for
10 awhile there until it made it into mainline. It was the first
11 i386/x86_64 kernel to support IO-nice levels (a task with a nice level
12 also has it's read IO niced).
13
14 Now, Con has been working on swap pre-fetching, which basically reads
15 back your swap into memory, but in a state where it can be discarded
16 freely if the machine needs it. If a swapped app is used, then it's
17 already tagged in memory and then just gets removed from swap. This
18 leads to a 5 fold increase in using say, Firefox once it has been
19 swapped out.
20
21 ck-sources also implements SCHED_ISO which is basically RealTime, but
22 with a cap on CPU usage. People like it, because it just works "out of
23 the box". There is also SCHED_BATCH which gives longer timeslices to
24 processes with this schedule at the cost of interactivity, as well as
25 basically giving it a nice of +19. Very useful for compiles, things like
26 Seti, or even emerge syncs.
27
28 Not to mention things like the hardmapped and mapped tunables in the
29 /proc filesystem which give you more control over memory usage for your
30 desktop system. Don't forget the compute and interactive tunables that
31 help you control how processes get scheduled.
32 --
33 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list