From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Is swap need when there is 4g of ram?
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 14:38:13
1 On Dienstag, 13. März 2007, Joaquim Quinteiro Uchoa wrote:
2 > Ok, new swapfiles are acessed as block, bypassing the filesystem:
3 >
4 > http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/7/7/326
5 >
6 > In this way, with physical access, really doesn't matter if is a
7 > partition or a swapfile...
8 >
9 > In this situation, a swap partition is only more easy to manage (You
10 > don't need to
11 > create the file after the instalation proccess) and can be shared by
12 > several SOs in a
13 > same computer. But swapfiles can be more flexible (you can expand and move
14 > more easily).
15 >
16 > I think I will prefer swapfiles in future instalations :)
19 I have a (small) swap partition, and a big 'emergeny' swapfile - that is
20 hardly ever used.
21 --
22 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list