From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Java on AMD64
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 17:13:37
1 On 9/20/07, Björn Bredohl <bjoern@×××××××.de> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 >
4 > Currently there is only a 64 bit java browserplugin in the blackdown
5 > package, and this is unstable! If you want java support in for example
6 > firefox, than you have to use the firefox-bin package (32bit).
7 >
8 > To see the available java plugins:
9 >
10 > eselect java-nsplugin list
11 >
12 > and here is the thread, why the 64bit java plugin is not in the obove list:
13 > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-552110.html
14 >
15 > To use the unstable 64bit blackdown java plugin, you have to link the
16 > libjavaplugin_oji.so manually.
17 >
18 > - Björn
21 OK, I am busy working so I'll have to read the whole thread later,
22 maybe tonight. However both the forum thread and your response do
23 bring up some questions. Thanks!
24
25 I have both firefox and firefox-bin installed. Both tell me that the
26 JRE isn't installed. Using your eselect command it appears that I
27 don't have a plugin. Am I correct? I Assume I'd see a name under one
28 of those headings?
29
30 lightning ~ # eselect java-nsplugin list
31 Available 32-bit Java browser plugins
32 Available 64-bit Java browser plugins
33 lightning ~ # eselect java-nsplugin show
34 Current Java browser plugin
35 (unset)
36 lightning ~ #
37
38 Indeed, it appears that nsplugin isn't enabled which would be my first
39 issue to solve. I know I had it turned off at one point when I was
40 using a chroot to get around this problem but that's far too difficult
41 to live with on a day-in/day-out basis.
42
43 Anyway, how do I get it built to be similar to Volker's sun-jdk-1.6
44 setup. I cannot seem to get the flag enabled:
45
46 lightning ~ # emerge -pvDuN sun-jdk
47
48 These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
49
50 Calculating dependencies... done!
51 [ebuild U ] dev-lang/tk-8.4.15-r1 [8.4.15] USE="-debug -threads" 0 kB
52 [ebuild NS ] dev-java/sun-jdk-1.6.0.02 USE="X alsa -doc -examples
53 -jce (-nsplugin)" 0 kB
54
55 Total: 2 packages (1 upgrade, 1 in new slot), Size of downloads: 0 kB
56 lightning ~ #
57
58 lightning ~ # cat /etc/portage/package.use | grep sun
59 dev-java/sun-jre-bin nsplugin
60 dev-java/sun-jdk nsplugin
61 lightning ~ #
62