From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: 64-bit or 32-bit?
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 19:55:00
1 Bertrand Jacquin posted
2 <43872d370603280717w2b6ccbd9l9dae6e21a9a927d2@××××××××××.com>, excerpted
3 below, on Tue, 28 Mar 2006 17:17:27 +0200:
4
5 > How could you compile mplayer or firefox in your 64 bits environnement
6 > to generate 32 bits binary ? I have multilib activated and I can't
7 > build mplayer with CFLAGS="-m32".
8 >
9 > It is needing something else ?
10 >
11 > I don't want too to have and maintain a 32 bit chroot.
12
13 There /are/ the 32-bit precompiled packages for those in the tree,
14 firefox-bin and mplayer-bin, if you want to merge them. Note that these
15 use different executable names so you can even have both your regular
16 64-bit and the 32-bit-binary versions merged side by side.
17
18 As for why you can't seem to compile the 32-bit binaries, it's very
19 possibly because you are missing certain of the libraries and other
20 dependencies, or more likely, the 32-bit headers for them necessary for
21 compilation. Naturally, you could track all this stuff manually, but
22 that's what portage is for -- only it can track only one bitness at a
23 time. Thus, the idea of a 32-bit chroot, complete with its own instance
24 of portage, which can track all the 32-bit dependencies necessary to
25 compile in 32-bit what you really want, firefox and mplayer, in this case.
26 Sure, it's /possible/ to track all those dependencies manually, but it's
27 /far/ easier to run a chroot for the purpose and let portage do what
28 portage does well -- automate all that stuff for you so you don't have to
29 worry about it.
34 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
35 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
39 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list