From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] RE: [OT- html posts]
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 00:39:57
Bob Young posted <FAEEIJPAOFEMBBLKPMJEAEFDDOAA.BYoung@××××××××××.com>,
excerpted below,  on Fri, 09 Dec 2005 16:17:57 -0800:

>>So, exactly what would you refer to the Sober Worm attack on Nov. 23 >>as??? > 3 >>weeks ago is pretty damned recent. > > Two points, first I'd bet that the attack didn't start with a message to > an email list, much less a Linux oriented list. Second, the number of > Linux users affected by the Worm was probably zero, so that doesn't seem > like a very solid reason for prohibiting html on a Linux oriented list
You didn't read very well, then. He's a Linux user and network admin. So am I, as a Linux user and personal system admin. We are both affected by the denial of service it causes, certainly immediately, but more than that, in the ultimate clampdown, resulting for me in the fact that I can't send mail directly, where if it weren't for all the spam and malware that came about more or less directly as a result of HTML mail (with malware now a major spammer's tool), I'd likely still have direct email available. -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list