From: Jordi Molina <warp3r@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] SATA2 Recommendations
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 23:08:26
1 On 1/23/06, Darren Grant <dgrant@×××××××××××.ca> wrote:
2 > I'm currently looking to build a cost effective web/email server.
3 >
4 > I'm considering using an ASUS A8N-E with an x939 Athlon 64 x2 3800+ 2Ghz
5 > processor. I'm also hoping to use RAID-1 over dual SATA2 drives. In
6 > researching gentoo and SATA2, I've come across numerous problems that
7 > people are experiencing with the 2005.1-r1live-cd install and the
8 > sata_nv driver and SATA in general. Has this been fixed? Does anyone
9 > have any advice for me? Has anyone successfully installed on SATA2
10 > drives running with an nforce4 chipset mobo? If they haven't, were they
11 > able to get SATA2 drives running as SATA1? Or at least SATA1 from a
12 > fresh install of the 2005.1-r1 AMD64 livecd? I noticed a lot of problems
13 > with the ASUS A8N-VM/CSM which is why I'm investigatin the A8NE.
14 >
15 > If this has already been discussed, I apologize in advance... I'm new to
16 > the list and couldn't find what I was looking for in the archives.
17 >
18 > Any help or advice would be appreciated.
19 > --
20 > gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list
24 hello,
25
26 I installed gentoo from another livecd and then compiled the kernel
27 and the initrd image to support sata_nv.
28
29 It boots fine for me. Forget about using the nvraid, is not hardware,
30 so if you need it, go sw raid or buy a decent RAID card.
31
32 cheers
33 --
34 Jordi Molina Casas (warp3r)