From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: Advice Wanted! Setup Instuctions ...
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 19:10:42
1 "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net> posted
2 200605201333.26654.bss03@××××××××××.net, excerpted below, on Sat, 20 May
3 2006 13:33:21 -0500:
4
5 > AFAIK, [confcache i]s still experimental. I'm currently blaming it for
6 > some meta-kde emerge failures, but I also was using a number of other
7 > experimental FEATURES at the same time, so I don't have any hard
8 > evidence that it's broken.
9
10 LOL. I seem to have some of the best luck with KDE... When everybody was
11 saying it was broken with -Os, I was emerging it and having no issues.
12 When everyone said it didn't work with the visibility stuff from gcc-4
13 backported to 3.4, I had no issues (IIRC in that case I didn't use the two
14 apps known to have problems <shrug>). When it wasn't supposed to be
15 working with gcc-4, guess what, I was running it compiled using gcc-4
16 (tho there were a couple niggles, but they were able to be worked around).
17
18 Now, no real surprise, confcache all the way, here, and I routinely do up
19 to five, sometimes more when it's KDE and it all came out at once, merges
20 in parallel, using the still masked gcc-4 and now 4.1, now with confcache,
21 and what would you know, no issues to speak of! (I'm having a slight
22 issue with kwin's kompmgr, but that's due to the xorg-7.1-rcs I'm running,
23 and again, it's easily controlled or I'd simply turn off composite. The
24 parallel merges I use emerge --pretend --tree to get an overview of the
25 dependency structure, then emerge --ask, verifying the same packages are
26 not going to be merging in two separate konsole tabs at the same time.)
27
28 >> > Of course there's ccache as well, but that can actually take longer
29 >> > if you aren't doing much recompiling of the same code with the same
30 >> > options on the same gcc, due to the extra disk activity of managing
31 >> > the ccache, and there's distcc, if you have several computers that
32 >> > can share the load.
33 >>
34 >> So it sould like this is some thing that is not needed and does not do
35 >> much for the system in my case at less?
36 >
37 > Well, IIRC, ccache is able to match on file /data/ and basically ignores
38 > the file /name/ which allows it some speed up some autoconf tests. Many
39 > autoconf tests are just attempts to compile simple, but specially
40 > constructed, C files.
41
42 It does do that, I guess.
43
44 > Also, ccache can speed up restarting packages that fail to emerge the
45 > first time through.
46
47 This was actually why I merged it here. Back when I started with Gentoo,
48 I had bad memory -- rated PC3200 but good only to PC3000. Unfortunately,
49 at the time, my board couldn't limit the memory clock in BIOS as the
50 previous one I had had could do (the feature was later added in a BIOS
51 update, and I eventually upgraded memory), so the system would work fine
52 for days as long as it wasn't too stressed, but do a long compile and it
53 would almost certainly crap out in the middle. ccache save my butt and
54 my sanity, and made it possible, with patience, to run Gentoo and keep
55 updated on a system that otherwise never could have done so.
56
57 BTW, ccache and confcache are two different things, both of which can
58 speed up merges, using different technologies. Just in case someone was
59 confused and thinking they were the same things.
66 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
69 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list