From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Updating kdm
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 09:48:43
1 "Juliano Morais Barbosa" <barbosa@×××××××××××××××××.br> posted
2 021801c69ed6$5eb18500$c902a8c0@t201, excerpted below, on Mon, 03 Jul 2006
3 16:24:41 -0300:
4
5 > When I try updating kdm I receive this message.
6
7 First, you are thread hijacking. You replied with a KDM error to a thread
8 about serial ATA. It's an entirely different subject. Please start an
9 entirely different thread. (New message, not reply.)
10
11 Second, normally emerge errors like this should be filed as bugs, not
12 posted to the mailinglist/newsgroup. An exception would be if for some
13 reason you suspect it's due to an unrelated problem on your system, with
14 this as part of the evidence, or if it's otherwise a problem that you
15 don't think is limited to that package or that could be serious enough
16 that others need to know about it.
17
18 Meanwhile, altho I'm running unstable ~amd64, and thus already have
19 kdm-3.5.3-r2 merged, and am running gcc-4.1.1, I did just do a quick test
20 of kdm-3.5.2-r1, doing the unpack/compile/fake-install steps using "ebuild
21 /$PORTDIR/kde-base/kdm/kdm-3.5.2-r1.ebuild install", and it worked just
22 fine, no errors (in particular not the -fPIC error you got), so it /can/
23 work.
24
25 FWIW, -fPIC errors aren't unusual on AMD64, where libraries need compiled
26 with -fPIC or they won't work. However, most Gentoo packages have already
27 fixed the problem if it existed, and it would cause problems for everyone
28 on amd64 compiling the package if that were the real problem. Therefore,
29 I think you have some other problem, perhaps a CXXFLAGS issue or something
30 else on your system that caused the error -- which it wrongly called an
31 -fPIC error for some reason.
32
33 The error would appear to be related to the fact that it's using
34 libXdmcp.a, the static library, instead of libXdmcp.so, the shared
35 object, which would explain the -fPIC error since the static libs can't
36 be linked that way. Why it's using the wrong one, I'm not sure, but it's
37 something that will probably need to be sorted out on a bug, as the
38 Gentoo/KDE folks will then take a look at it, and probably know enough
39 more about the KDE configure and library scan process to figure out why
40 it's trying to build against the static lib instead of the shared-object
41 lib.
42
43 One thing you can check, however. You DO have a libXdmcp.so, right?
44 Here's the files I have as part of the libXdmcp package:
45
46 $equery f libXdmcp
47 [ Searching for packages matching libXdmcp... ]
48 * Contents of x11-libs/libXdmcp-1.0.1:
49 /usr
50 /usr/include
51 /usr/include/X11
52 /usr/include/X11/Xdmcp.h
53 /usr/lib64
54 /usr/lib64/libXdmcp.a
55 /usr/lib64/libXdmcp.la
56 /usr/lib64/libXdmcp.so -> libXdmcp.so.6.0.0
57 /usr/lib64/libXdmcp.so.6 -> libXdmcp.so.6.0.0
58 /usr/lib64/libXdmcp.so.6.0.0
59 /usr/lib64/pkgconfig
60 /usr/lib64/pkgconfig/xdmcp.pc
61
62 If you are missing libXdmcp.so.6.0.0 or its symlinks, that would explain
63 your problem. In that case, you'd need to remerge it.
70 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
73 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list