From: Christopher E <sensory.access@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] AMD64: with or with out 32bit?
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 22:19:32
1 Hello everyone!
2
3 Here is a question that I would like to know about, based on the email
4 I sent out earler with my setup and what I want to do would it be a
5 bad thing or a good thing to not have 32bit support in my linux? See
6 below for what my systerm is and what I would like to do with it
7
8 Sincerely,
9 Christopher
10
11 So you know this is not for a for-profit and it for a
12 non-profit project that I am working on and when done will be turned
13 over to the non-profit, I will eithe give this computer to them or
14 build another one but for now and the next 6 months or longer this
15 computer is what is going to be used for building and testing the apps
16 that are being built.
17
18 Here is my system hardware information:
19
20 Motherboard: Asus K8V Deluxe
21 http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=14&l3=67&model=234&modelmenu=1
22
23 Video Card: ATI All-in-Wonder 9800 Series
24 http://www.ati.com/products/radeon9800/aiw9800pro/index.html
25
26 Harddrive: WD Caviar SE SATA 120 GB, 7200 RPM, 8 MB Cache WD1200JS
27 http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=138
28
29 Harddrive: WD ATA 6 GB
30
31 CD Drive: Sony CD-RW CRX320EE
32 http://b2b.sony.com/Solutions/subcategory/storage/oem-optical/Combo
33
34 Sound Card: Built in to MB
35 LAN Nic Card: Built in to MB
36
37 CPU Chip: AMD Athlon +3000
38 http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9485_9487,00.html?redir=CPAT01
39
40 WAN NIC Card: Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter wth SpeedBooster
41 http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1115416826820&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper
42
43 Router: Wireless-G Broadband Router with SpeedBooster
44 http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1139845136473&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper
45
46 Cable Modem
47 AT&T Callvantage Linksys for Voip
48
49 I don't know what is good to have or not so I listed it all.
50
51 Here is what I want to be able to do with this setup:
52
53 I want to be able to run a webserver that will do:
54 1. Run a site that is going to be a mini search engin to start
55 that is going to be human ran not spider
56 2. in the near future it will add the groups / mailing list
57 3. be able to have chat rooms that are only relying on the server
58 and NOT the client or browers
59 4. be able to host other website off this system
60
61 The programs that I want to use are PHP, and MySQL and Apache
62
63 I also want to be able to run a number of GUI so I am able to see
64 which one I like to use as I will also need to run a office app to do
65 work, and surf the net etc
66
67 I will want to be able to watch TV and record if I choice to do so
68
69 I want to make this as sercue as it can be.
70
71 I also want this to be a muility boot as I have windows on a sec sata drive
72
73 IF any one is willing to help me with this I would be greatly thrilled
74 as I have been working on this now for a week and have not got any
75 where. I do have a nice guy that is helping me with this but he has
76 very limited know how when it comes to AMD setups and the issue I am
77 runing in to know.
80 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list