From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Unexpected side effect of GCC 4
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 08:20:28
1 Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk> posted
2 200611051210.25023.prh@××××××××××.uk, excerpted below, on Sun, 05 Nov
3 2006 12:10:24 +0000:
4
5 [rewrapped]
6
7 > $ emerge --info | grep FLAGS
8
9 > CFLAGS="-march=k8 -Os -pipe -frename-registers -fweb -freorder-blocks
10 > -freorder-blocks-and-partition -funit-at-a-time -fgcse-sm -fgcse-las
11 > -fgcse-after-reload -fmerge-all-constants"
12
13 > CXXFLAGS="-march=k8 -Os -pipe -frename-registers -fweb -freorder-blocks
14 > -funit-at-a-time -fgcse-sm -fgcse-las -fgcse-after-reload
15 > -fmerge-all-constants"
16
17 > Unset: CTARGET, INSTALL_MASK, LDFLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS
18
19 > So I have a pointer away from glibc and linux-headers. CFLAGS on the new
20 > system are as on the old but with -combine added.The old and new systems
21 > have the same versions of kernel, linux-headers and glibc, but different
22 > versions of gcc. Rsync is crippled on the old system but fine on the new
23 > one.
24
25 Well, I /did/ say gcc 4.1.1 seemed way (as in, vastly) better than 3.4.x,
26 for me, so at least that's being borne out.
27
28 As for CFLAGS, the only change I've made recently is adding
29 -ftree-vectorize, experimentally, given the discussion here. I'm not sure
30 it's the problem, particularly as where I /am/ experiencing issues the
31 first thing I tried was compiling stuff without it, so if it's the
32 problem, it's in some obscure dependency somewhere, but I certainly had no
33 issues before trying it and now I do, so for anyone else thinking of
34 trying it, I'd recommend staying well away from -ftree-vectorize for the
35 time being. I'd really like to be able to say for sure it is the problem,
36 and find it very frustrating not to be able to nail it down, but suffice
37 it to say /something's/ causing me problems right now and that's one of my
38 recent changes, so I'd recommend staying well away from it.
39
40 I mentioned that I need to do an emerge -emptytree again, as it has been
41 awhile. I'm still debating whether to try it with or without
42 -ftree-vectorize. If that's the problem, it may well go away if
43 everything is compiled with it. OTOH, it may not. That's an awful lot of
44 compiling to do and still have a problem if -ftree-vectorize is causing it
45 and it doesn't go away with everything compiled with it, but OTOH, if
46 that's /not/ the problem, and I decide not to try it, I'll never know
47 whether that was the problem or not.
48
49 I'm about to decide to simply play it safe and pretend nobody here ever
50 called -ftree-vectorize to my attention, at least until the flag has had a
51 bit more time to mature (say gcc 4.2 or 4.3). Only just because I'm the
52 type of person I am, that would bother me as I will have never nailed it
53 for sure. In any case, my best guess right now are that the issues I am
54 having are related to a nasty interplay between -ftree-vectorize and
55 glibc-2.5. In looking around at Gentoo glibc bugs, I found at least one
56 equally strange one, on x86. The bug required glibc 2.5, and it required
57 that a certain package be compiled with a certain cflag. With that cflag
58 on glibc 2.4, it worked fine, as it did without the cflag on 2.5, but put
59 them together and things blew up. It wasn't -ftree-vectorize, and it was
60 on x86, but I've a rather strong suspicion my case is similar, only on
61 amd64 and with a different cflag, -ftree-vectorize most likely. I've just
62 not figured out which particular package is doing it, and not being able
63 to figure it out as I said is VERY annoying to me, WAY more so than the
64 bit of inconvenience the actual bug is causing. (Yes, I know I said all
65 that already, but it's still annoying and I'm still griping about it! =8^(
70 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
73 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list