From: Anand Buddhdev <arb@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] 64-bit or 32-bit?
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 11:29:11
1 Hello fellow list members,
2
3 I'm getting a new AMD64-based computer, and I'd like to run gentoo on
4 it. I have been doing a bit of reading about running linux on AMD64, and
5 it seems that in general, it's not a problem. The main issues seem to be
6 with firefox 32-bit plugins, and win32 codecs for use with mplayer. My
7 reading seems to suggest that if I stick to firefox-bin and mplayer32,
8 then I should be fine. However, I'd like to hear from people who're
9 already using gentoo on amd64, and what their experience is. Is it
10 simple to get these apps to work? Or was there a lot of frustration
11 involved. I've used linux and BSD systems for a long time, so I'm used
12 to hacking, and I'm not afraid to mess around with scripts and
13 compilers. But I've reached a point when I'd just like to be able to
14 install a system, and have it work. Fedora Core almost allows that,
15 except that I'm a bit fed up of the multiple repository problems, and no
16 proper way of picking and choosing what exactly I want. I could
17 recompile some of the packages from SRPMS, and specify my choices. But I
18 reckoned that if recompiling was the way to go, then I'd give gentoo a try.
19
20 One of the choices I'm facing is whether to install gentoo 64-bit, or
21 32-bit. Installing 32-bit on the AMD64 would make life easy, but kind of
22 defeats the purpose of having a 64-bit processor. Hence my request for
23 opinions. Should I go 64-bit, or stay in the 32-bit world for now?
24
25 Regards, and thanks in advance.
26
27 Anand