From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: hardware clock often doesn't sync to system on shutdown
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 08:49:38
1 Thanasis <thanasis@××××××××××.org> posted 48CD973B.6080308@××××××××××.org,
2 excerpted below, on Mon, 15 Sep 2008 01:59:07 +0300:
3
4 > Thanks to your guidance, I found out that I had a large "systematic
5 > drift rate" in /etc/adjtime file. This must have been the reason why the
6 > hwclock was set behind. So I've set the drift to zero (actually just
7 > deleted the file and let the system create a new one) and I hope things
8 > will be ok now. :-)
9
10 Are you on baselayout-1 still or -2 (which is still ~arch)? IDR the
11 details on baselayout-1, but at least with -2, you can set it not to use
12 the adjtime file at all. If you're on -2 and can't find the details
13 yourself, post to that effect and I'll try to find them for you from this
14 end.
15
16 Particularly if you're having trouble with the clock interrupt failing
17 (as you mentioned you are), if you sync via NTP, that file can cause more
18 problems than it solves, because the system keeps deciding the clock
19 isn't working right and setting a larger adjustment, which fights what
20 ntpd is already doing. Thus if you're running ntpd anyway, it's best to
21 disable use of that file entirely, /especially/ if as I said your acpi or
22 whatever is screwing it. If you're still on baselayout-1 and can't
23 figure out how to disable adjtime, it may be worth putting a rm in /etc/
24 conf.d/local (make it conditional on there actually being a file to rm,
25 so the rm doesn't error out if it's not there, and ensure the local
26 service is in your initlevels as appropriate) for both local_start and
27 stop, so it's regularly removed before it starts getting to be too big of
28 a problem.
33 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman