From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Rsync server performance problem solved
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 10:16:32
1 A few months ago I described a problem in which my gateway box, acting as an
2 rsync portage server to my desktop and portable boxes, was taking several
3 minutes to create and transfer the file list. The transfers of files to
4 synchronise the local portage database with that on the server worked just
5 fine, however.
6
7 It turns out that the 256 MB of RAM in the server wasn't enough, since as soon
8 as I put in another GB it just flew - about one or two seconds now for file
9 list transfer, which is a factor of 50 or 100 better.
10
11 The box does run BOINC clients, but at nice 19, so I though that shouldn't be
12 a problem. However, I now remember that my BOINC parameters included a
13 leave-in-memory-while-inactive option, and I suppose that must have been it,
14 though I don't know how the kernel would operate with that setting.
15
16 Hope someone finds this interesting.
19 Rgds
20 Peter.