From: Brett Johnson <brett@××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] initio seen, mt -f doesn't work
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 14:10:42
> st: Version 20050830, fixed bufsize 32768, s/g segs 256
It appears to me that the st driver is loading properly, but I did not see any sign of the SCSI driver loading in the dmesg output. This could be becuase you have the module compiled as a module, in which case you can jump to the last paragraph. If you're not sure if the driver is configured in the kernel, you can check it quickly by typing 'grep INITIO /usr/src/linux/.config' If the output says "# CONFIG_SCSI_INITIO is not set", you will need to run 'genkernel --menuconfig all', navigate to the Device Drivers -> SCSI device support -> SCSI low-level drivers and enable Initio 9100U (W) support. With this being a tape drive, I'd probably select module as opposed to compiling into the kernel. Once the build is complete, install the new kernel and modules, and reboot. (Assuming you picked module, his step is probably optional, since all we did was add a module, but I like to reboot to be safe). Now, just run 'modprobe initio' and it should load without any errors. The last step is to check 'lsmod' and 'dmesg | tail'. You should see the scsi card loaded, and the tape drive and assigned a device name (st0). Brett -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-amd64] initio seen, mt -f doesn't work Gavin Seddon <gavin.m.seddon@×××××××××××××.uk>