From: Michael Ulm <michael.ulm@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] System crashes when idle
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 09:04:43
1 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 29 May 2007 07:59:42 Michael Ulm wrote:
3 >> Hi,
4 >>
5 >> I seem to get system crashes on my machine when it is idle for
6 >> some time. Here is a typical crashing session:
7 > [...]
8 >> Maybe it's the hardware, but what kind of hardware issue could cause
9 >> these symptoms?
10 >>
11 >> Any ideas anyone?
12 >
13 > A couple. Either RAM or hard disk would be my first suspect. You can check
14 > the RAM best by compiling any large package, such as gcc itself. Memtest
15 > and its like can only find the most obvious faults and in my opinion aren't
16 > worth their salt - if they can find a fault, it will already be obvious to
17 > you.
18 >
19 > Secondly, with the advent of SATA I'm suspecting a new class of fault in
20 > hard disks. Not only do we have the traditional transfer errors, but now I
21 > suspect it's possible for some faults to allow voltage spikes to be imposed
22 > on the line driver and cause random errors in other subsystems. I may be
23 > wrong, but I've had one experience of this already, and I'm currently
24 > working to eliminate another disk as the cause of weird problems I'm
25 > having.
26 >
27 > Oh, and there's always the power supply. If that goes wonky it can cause all
28 > manner of problems. You could well suspect it if problems don't occur until
29 > after the system's been running for quite a while.
32 Thank you for your suggestions. I have had no problems so far compiling my
33 Gentoo packages, and I often stressed my system with lengthy computations
34 without any issues. So I tend to think the RAM is good.
35
36 I thought that power supply issues would tend to occur under stress, not under
37 rest. But you are right of course, the problems may occur after some delay.
38 Unfortunately I've no idea how to test this.
39
40 I'll check the disk to see if something comes up there. I also plan to install
41 Ubuntu on some separate disk and see if the problem occurs there as well.
42
43 If these are indeed hardware related problems, I feel like abusing this group
44 (which is software related after all) with my problems. So, I'd also appreciate
45 suggestions which online community would be better suited for help with
46 debugging hardware issues.
47
48 Thanks,
49
50 Michael
55 Michael Ulm
56 R&D Team
57 ISIS Information Systems Austria
58 tel: +43 2236 27551-542, fax: +43 2236 21081
59 e-mail: michael.ulm@××××××××××××.com
60 Visit our Website: www.isis-papyrus.com
61
63 This e-mail is only intended for the recipient and not legally
64 binding. Unauthorised use, publication, reproduction or
65 disclosure of the content of this e-mail is not permitted.
67 no responsibility for malicious or inappropriate content.
69 --
70 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list