From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Nvidia or Xorg Problem with GLX
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 18:56:50
1 Hello,
2
3 My system has been running well but just by chance I noticed a strange
4 error in my xorg-server log:
5
6 (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the GLX module; please check in your X
7 (EE) NVIDIA(0): log file that the GLX module has been loaded in your X
8 (EE) NVIDIA(0): server, and that the module is the NVIDIA GLX module.
9
10 The X log indeed indicates that the loaded GLX module is *not* the nvidia
11 GLX module:
12
13 (II) LoadModule: "glx"
14 (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
15 (II) Module glx: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
16
17 As a consequence, the nvidia glx module fails to initialize and I suppose
18 that opengl has fallen back to software rendering.
19
20 I cannot pinpoint this error to any specific change in my system because,
21 as I mentioned, my system has been running well and there has been no need
22 to check the logs or to check anything else.
23
24 After doing some searching, I did find that others have reported the same
25 problem and the solution is to delete the Xorg glx module, which is located
26 at /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so. After deleting (or renaming)
27 this file and then restarting X the problem vanishes.
28
29 However, this solution is far from ideal. There must be a proper way to
30 fix this issue.
31
32 Does anyone have any insight or suggestions?
33
34 My xorg.conf has the necessary module paths set:
35
36 ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
37 ModulePath "/usr/lib64/opengl/nvidia"
38
39 My eselect is set to opengl nvidia:
40
41 eselect opengl list
42 Available OpenGL implementations:
43 [1] nvidia *
44 [2] xorg-x11
45
46 Also, re-installing the nvidia-drivers, as the X log file suggests,
47 did not solve the problem.
48
49 Until I find a proper fix, I'll have to keep the xorg glx module
50 deleted.
51
52 Frank Peters