From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] 32-bit, 32-bit PAE, 64-bit benchmarks
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 10:57:41
1 Here's a phoronix benchmarking article I came across that I thought would
2 interest people here. Using an Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 machine with 4 gigs
3 RAM, they benchmark a normal 32-bit kernel (which limits to 3 gig
4 accessible due to the PCI device I/O window just below the 32-bit 4-gig
5 barrier), a 32-bit PAE kernel, and a 64-bit kernel. The distribution was
6 Ubuntu 9.10.
7
8 One thing I did NOT see them specify, is whether on the 64-bit kernel,
9 they were using a 32-bit userland, or 64-bit. That could make some
10 difference.
11
12 Apparently, Linus has claimed a 25% performance penalty using PAE.
13 However, they don't link that claim and I didn't google it, so I don't
14 know the context. In particular, I don't know whether he was claiming the
15 penalty as compared to 32-bit standard, with its memory limitations, or as
16 compared to 64-bit. If the latter, certainly, these benchmarks
17 demonstrate he was being conservative, if anything, in some areas.
18
19 One other point to note. As we're talking binary based Ubuntu here, the
20 32-bit versions will be much more generically optimized, since they cater
21 to a much broader hardware base, than the 64-bit, which by virtue of its
22 being a much newer standard, can and does define as available some SSE and
23 etc extensions that 32-bit, compiled as generically as Ubuntu does, will
24 not be able to take advantage of. I really do wish I knew whether the 64-
25 bit benchmarks were done using the 64-bit Ubuntu userspace or the 32-bit
26 user-space, but if they say, I didn't see it. But if it's the 64-bit
27 userspace, the extra optimizations possible with 64-bit will make some
28 difference as well. Of course, also coming into play is likely the
29 CFLAGS, etc, the phoronix test suite itself was built with.
30
31 But regardless of those details, the benchmarks speak for themselves.
32 Gaming/OpenGL, not much difference (so little they included only one
33 graph, "to avoid repetition"), but WOW, check out some of the other
34 benchmarks! Certainly as memory capacities reach and exceed 4 GB, the
35 article's conclusion is valid, basically, don't bother monkeying around
36 with 32-bit PAE and CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G, just do it right and go full 64-
37 bit. Or as they put it:
38
39 > Unless you have technical or business reasons for not migrating to
40 > 64-bit Linux with compatible hardware, there is no reason to stick
41 > around with a 32-bit kernel and worrying about physical address
42 > extension.
43
44 That said, one /does/ wonder what the results would have been like, had
45 they been comparing 32-bit compiled with -O2 -march=native against 64-bit
46 compiled similarly, basically, the Gentoo recommended defaults. I expect
47 that would have increased 32-bit performance somewhat, possibly even
48 narrowly beating out 64-bit where the differences aren't that great in the
49 benchmarks as-is.
54 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman