From: Brett Johnson <brett@××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] question about X700Pro (PCIe)
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 12:35:14
1 This may be a long shot, but I have a very similar problem on my system,
2 Asus SK8N VE Delux, ATI 9800XT (agp), 2.6.11-gentoo-r7 and the /evil/
3 ati-drivers-8.14.13-r2.
4
5 From a cold boot, if I load straigt into Gentoo, X hangs the box. I can
6 do is ssh in from a client and reboot (or reset if I'm lazy). I have not
7 found any real erros in the logs, but next time I cold boot, I will see
8 if I get simialr messages as below.
9
10 To correct the problem, I have to boot into Windows first. This seems to
11 initalize what ever is not functioning properly. I then shutdown and
12 restart back into Gentoo, and X starts up fine.
13
14 When ever I power of my system, I must always boot Windows first, then
15 warm boot into Gentoo. This is something sorta new, as I had the same
16 hardware config running fine with the x86 version of Gentoo, no need for
17 windows. But after installing amd64, and possibly some later updates,
18 the problem arose. I can not pin point when it started, as I very rarely
19 power off my system. I have just been waiting for my vaction time so I
20 can rebuild the system and hopefully the problem goes away or at least
21 I'll setup a tri boot, windoze, gentoo x86 and gentoo amd64. This way I
22 can narrow down if it's just amd64 or some other xorg or ati issue.
23
24 Brett
27 Andrey Schwedovitch wrote:
28
29 > i have GA-K8N Ultra (nForce4 Ultra without SLI)
30 > +
31 > ATi RADEON X700Pro
32 >
33 > kernel version is 2.6.13
34 >
35 > i CANNOT start X.. my comp freezes (only RESET helps)
36 >
37 > i found some messages in my logs like this :
38 >
39 > < SOME LOG TEXT SKIPPED >
40 >
41 > PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:0b.0 to 64
42 > pcie_portdrv_probe->Dev[005d:10de] has invalid IRQ. Check vendor BIOS
43 > assign_interrupt_mode Found MSI capability
44 >
45 > < SOME LOG TEXT SKIPPED >
46 >
47 > i think that string "pcie_portdrv_probe->Dev[005d:10de] has invalid
48 > IRQ. Check vendor BIOS" points to my problem..
49 > i don't like that string, but i don't know how to eliminate it..
52 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list