From: Daiajo Tibdixious <daiajo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] revdep-rebuild rebuilding nonsense
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 00:00:32
1 On 2/1/07, Bo Ørsted Andresen <bo.andresen@××××.dk> wrote:
2 > On Thursday 01 February 2007 00:20:12 Daiajo Tibdixious wrote:
3 > > I NEVER allow revdep-rebuild to rebuild ANYTHING. If I think the
4 > > "broken ..." actually match the list of packages, I'll emerge them
5 > > manually with --update.
6 > You haven't noticed the --package-names switch for revdep-rebuild, have you?
7 Not until after I got in the habit of doing it manually in another window.
8 Besides I don't want the "broken ..." lines to scroll off the scroll
9 back buffer,
10 I like to keep them handy in case something goes wrong with the merge.
11
12 The main problem is that revdep-rebuild only fixes the case where the
13 "(requires blah)" blah has a newer version lying around, so the broken
14 .so can just be rebuilt to pick up the newer version. It doesn't
15 handle the case where the broken .so is an orphan, or belongs to a
16 package and is supposed to be manually deleted, or where blah simply
17 does not exist anymore, and its that package that needs to be emerged.
18 It also may be that package with the broken .so needs to be unmerged,
19 rather than rebuilt, in the case where its something installed but not
20 used any more.
23 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list