From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] xorg DRI setup
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 11:04:53
1 2008/9/2 Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>:
2 > Beso, I've got some questions on getting the desktop effects setup on my
3 > system that I hoe you can answer for me.
4 >
5 > 1. Can you clarify the untarring of the x11.tar.gz? I've put it in the
6 > overlay (mine is /usr/portage/local/layman/x11) but I'm not sure what to do
7 > with those files when it's unzipped, I just untarred it in the root of that
8 > directory, is that okay?
11 you have to point the make.conf to add the confs in there. it doesn't
12 really matter where you put the untarred files, as long as you
13 remember the location and as long as you point portage confs to these
14 additional confs. i suggest to put them in the personal overlay, since
15 at the next update of the x11 overlay with layman they'd be gone.
16 for example if your personal overlay would be located
17 /usr/portage/local/layman/personal put them there and then link to
18 them by adding the following line to the following files:
19
20 source /usr/portage/local/layman/x11.unmask
21 to the /etc/portage/package_unmask.conf
22 and
23 source /usr/portage/local/layman/x11.keywords
24 to the /etc/portage/package_keywords.conf.
25
26 > 2. The USE flags for xorg-server. With the input_devices_* that are listed
27 > there, can I insert those into /etc/make.conf under the 'INPUT_DEVICES = '
28 > line? that would save tons of time and make my USE line a little more
29 > manageable.
30
31 i suggest you to put them in a secondary package_use.conf to which you
32 point from /etc/portage/package_use.conf
33
34 > 3. Conpiz-fusion, do I use the compiz-fusion-0.*.* or the
35 > compiz-fusion-live ebuilds?
36 >
37 > One last thing, how do I verify that I'm actually compiling the right
38 > packages?
39
40 use the emerge -vp option and see the overlay from which you compile
41 the package.
42 portage tells you from which overlay it has chosen the package to install.
43 for example you find the compiz package in 3 overlays, gentoo, x11 and
44 desktop-effects and portage would list something similar to the
45 following:
46
47 # emerge compiz -vp
48 ----
49 ---
50 [0] - gentoo
51 [1] - x11
52 [2] - desktop-effects
53
54 x11-wm/compiz [2] USE: aaa bbbb ccc ddd -eee -ffff -ggg
57 this means portage will install the compiz package from the [2]
58 overlay, which in this case is desktop-effects.
62 dott. ing. beso