From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Symlinks vs. Bind mounts.
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 08:30:47
1 2008/8/12 Juan Fco. Giordana <juangiordana@×××××.com>
2
3 > Morgan Wesström wrote:
4 >
5 >> If I follow this advice, what happens when I compile something like
6 >> Open Office which allocates 3-4GB in /var/tmp during compilation and
7 >> I only have 2GB physical RAM in the computer?
10 > If all the Virtual Memory (VM = RAM+SWAP) is exhausted the kernel will try
11 > to kill the process that is consuming most of it. Daniel Robbins explains
12 > precisely that behaviour in this article:
13 >
14 > http://www.funtoo.org/en/articles/linux/ffg/3/
15 >
16 > "So, the kernel mistakenly attacks the biggest VM-hog of a process it can
17 > find, which is generally your X server if you happen to be running one. So,
18 > your X server dies, and the root cause of the low-VM condition (tmpfs) isn't
19 > addressed. Ick."
20 >
21 > See "Avoiding low VM conditions".
24 if you're still using something the kernel won't kill nothing. the behaviour
25 you're referencing is the kernel cached pages. when you use something you
26 load it into memory. after you finish using it then the kernel will continue
27 to hold the pages in ram as cached pages, if you have enough space to be
28 able to speed up the eventual future reuse of that particular object. when
29 the ram is over certain quota the kernel will free some pages based on
30 different criteria like the oldness of the page or on how many times that
31 particular page has been used. for example if you use libdvdcss to decode a
32 dvd you'll have it in ram. let's assume that you then load another library
33 and use that library 30 times. then you'll reuse libdvdcss again and then
34 start a program that will consume quite some ram space, like openoffice. the
35 kernel will free the libdvdcss from ram and cache it into the swap partition
36 mantaining the other library into ram if possible, cause it has been used
37 more than once. this is a mere and very simple example of how the kernel
38 frees the ram space.
39 as for processes that are in use, from my knowledge, the kernel will not
40 kill anything unless the process doesn't reply to its interrupts.
43 dott. ing. beso