From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: Wow! KDE 3.5.1 & Xorg 7.0 w/ Composite
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 07:28:05
1 Kyle Liddell posted <20060202045819.GA6819@××××××.localdomain>, excerpted
2 below, on Wed, 01 Feb 2006 22:58:19 -0600:
3
4 > On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 05:28:25AM +0100, Harm Geerts wrote:
5 >> I have a 6600GT with nvidia's driver, screen updates are similar to
6 >> downloading a detailed picture from the internet with a 56k modem :+ I
7 >> went through my log and found this: (EE) GLX is not supported with the
8 >> Composite extension When I've got composite loaded I can't use glx
9 >> anymore, which is not something I want to miss.
10 >
11 > You can still use GLX with composite, but there's another option you
12 > have to specify since it's supposedly broken on some things. (Now, I've
13 > never had any problems...but the most GL stuff I've done with it are
14 > XScreensaver and maybe UT/UT2k4.) Anyway, put this in your Device
15 > section of xorg.conf:
16 >
17 > Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "1"
18
19 Is this only with NVidia's proprietaryware or does it apply across the
20 board?
21
22 I'm not getting glx due to a missing symbol that I've yet to track down (I
23 tracked down a few others, but not that one) running xf86-video-ati
24 (Radeon 9250, as I said). So I'm not getting it anyway. However, with
25 the improvements of gcc 4.1 and my CFLAGS, plus the fact that I'm running
26 a dual Opteron, speed is still slow but now tolerable, at least. CPU
27 utilization is running 50-80% of one CPU, which would be unacceptable if
28 that was all I had, but with the dual Opteron, as I said, it's at least
29 tolerable now. I can probably do a bit more tweaking and get it a bit
30 better, and if I can trace that glx missing symbol down as well, it should
31 be fine.
32
33 As for those screen shots, I had to go to work, which is why I couldn't do
34 them at the time. However, I'm home again now, and will see about
35 creating and posting them shortly.
40 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
41 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
45 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list