From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: amd64 list, still useful? Was: btrfs
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2014 12:11:39
1 Mark Knecht posted on Thu, 05 Jun 2014 11:59:23 -0700 as excerpted:
2
3 > Yeah, this was likely the issue. One comment in the -user thread on this
4 > subject was that at least one -dev-type thinks users should be reading
5 > change logs to figure this stuff out. I no longer remember how long I've
6 > run Gentoo but it's well beyond a decade at this point. Daniel Robbins
7 > was certainly participating. I was working at a company from mid-1999 to
8 > 2004 when I started. I can only say that I've never read a change log in
9 > that whole time.
10
11 Wow. I read 'em routinely. There are actually four different types of
12 "changelogs" I read, more or less often and closely, depending on the
13 package and how closely I'm following it.
14
15 1) The gentoo package changelogs (as found in the gentoo tree) don't
16 normally contain a lot of information about the upstream package or
17 changes between versions, so I don't read them all the time, but I *DO*
18 read the gentoo package changelog much of the time when I see a -rX bump
19 for something I already have installed at the same upstream version
20 number, because in that case I normally want to know what the gentoo
21 package maintainer considered important enough for a revision bump and
22 the resulting rebuild trigger for users with that same upstream version
23 already installed, instead of simply fixing it in the ebuild without a
24 revision bump. These can be security bumps, for instance, and if so I
25 want to know how bad it was and what my risk was before the update.
26 Another common reason is config changes or patches that might affect me
27 in other ways, that as an admin responsible for the wellbeing of my gentoo
28 system (a responsibility I take very seriously), I want to know about.
29
30 Additionally, the gentoo package changelogs contain dates for version
31 introduction into the tree as well as stabilization on the various archs,
32 and eventually, for removal from the tree. Most of the time when I'm
33 checking on these, it's to help someone on some other list figure out a
34 dependency on their non-gentoo distro, or figure out how far behind my
35 ~amd64 installation their version is and how outdated, etc. Other times
36 it can be basically the same stuff, but for another gentooer on stable
37 instead of my ~amd64 plus selected live-packages system.
38
39 At least back when Zac was portage dev lead, because gentoo /is/ upstream
40 for portage and because portage changes are critical to a gentoo system's
41 wellbeing, the portage package changelog was far more detailed than most
42 others, including bug report numbers and mentioning big feature changes.
43 I followed the portage changelog very closely and looked up every bug
44 number mentioned to see what sort of changes were being made and why.
45
46 2) While not technically "changelog" files, git logs are in fact
47 generally much more detailed changelogs, and for stuff like kde, where I
48 run live-git-branch packages from the gentoo/kde project overlay, every
49 time I do a sync (of both the main gentoo tree and the few overlays I
50 run), I FAITHFULLY run git log on the overlay trees to see what updated
51 since I last synced, and how. For the overlays, I follow *EVERY*
52 *SINGLE* *CHANGE*, at minimum reading the git-log entry which lists the
53 files involved as well, and if there's patches introduced that interest
54 me, I'll use git show to pull up the full git diffs and see what actually
55 changed, line by line in the source code.
56
57 3) Similarly, for various upstream packages I follow upstream's changelog
58 or news files as well, not /too/ closely for most packages, but for a lot
59 of packages, closely enough to at least be aware of major feature
60 updates, both so I can make use of those features, and because they might
61 affect config files that I'll be etc-updating in short order, after the
62 package upgrade.
63
64 4) For a lot of packages that I run the live-git version of, I'll use the
65 smart-live-rebuild output to get the upstream git commit IDs, and will
66 then do a git log with those IDs to see what changed there, as well. For
67 a few packages, I have a different script that I run that does an
68 individual git pull for the package, and I git log it if there are
69 changes, before I even run smart-live-rebuild to catch the others at all.
70
71 Until I recently switched to systemd, I was one of the few non-dev users
72 actually running openrc-9999, precisely so I COULD follow individual git
73 commit updates, and I found and filed a number of bugs that then got
74 fixed before a release version ever made them generally available even to
75 ~arch users. Similarly, I've been involved with upstream pan (the news
76 client I follow this list with, among other things) for over a decade
77 now, helping out on its mailing list and now filling the local
78 application historian role as well, tho I'm not a dev, and I follow its
79 git logs *VERY* closely. Lately I've been active both as a btrfs user
80 and on the btrfs list, and follow the btrfs-progs git commit log closely
81 as well.
82
83 For kde, where I'm on the kde4 development branch, I don't follow the git
84 logs /quite/ that closely, but I do keep an eye on them, particularly for
85 kdelibs, kde-baseapps and kde-workspace.
86
87 I have my own scripts that I use for updating the kernel so I don't use
88 gentoo's kernel packages at all, but there too I run (mainline Linus)
89 kernel git, and while I don't follow individual commits especially during
90 the merge window, I often follow the mainline merge-commits, and follow
91 things more closely as commits slow down later in the cycle. As with
92 openrc, I've bisected, filed and gotten fixed a number of bugs in pre-
93 releases over the years before they hit full releases.
94
95 So I must confess it's a bit hard to imagine someone who hasn't read a
96 single changelog in at least the decade I've been on gentoo, particularly
97 since following them to at least /some/ extent is IMO part of the
98 responsibility of being a good sysadmin, responsible for at least their
99 own system if no others, is all about. While I certainly don't expect
100 people to follow changes as closely as I do, not viewing even /one/
101 changelog over the course of at least a decade... let's put it this way,
102 it's not something /I'd/ be proud to admit in public.
103
104 OTOH, that you've gone this long without it and are still here discussing
105 and running gentoo definitely *IS* a testament to how good the gentoo
106 devs (and tester-users like me filing bugs to be fixed before things hit
107 stable, and sometimes before they hit a release or the ~arch tree at all)
108 actually are in general at keeping things actually working for people, a
109 bit of hiccup now and again for a few days, but basically nothing that's
110 not fixed in a few days, and nothing that tends to actually eat systems
111 to the point that you're not here, a decade later.
112
113 That's SAYING something! =:^)
114
115 > This stuff does happen once in awhile. I'm surprised it doesn't happen
116 > more often actually so for the most part the release process is pretty
117 > good.
118
119 =:^)
120
121 > WRT to systemd, my real problem with this latest issue is the systemd
122 > profile issue, and beyond that there doesn't seem to be a systemd
123 > oriented new machine install document. In my study getting ready to
124 > build a new RAID (probably will be 2-drive 3TB RAID1) I wondered of I
125 > should give in to this portage pressure and go systemd. When I start
126 > looking there all I find are documents that seem to assume a pretty high
127 > understanding of systemd which doesn't represent my current education or
128 > abilities. Seems to me if the gentoo-devs interested in seeing systemd
129 > gain traction were serious this would be a high priority job. All we get
130 > today is
131 >
132 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?
133 full=1#book_part1_chap12
134 >
135 > which to me says it's not what Gentoo developers want Gentoo users to
136 > use.
137 > Of course, that's just me.
138
139 You're actually correct. Mainline gentoo remains openrc, and that's
140 likely to remain the case for some time. Systemd is certainly available
141 as an option, and more and more people are switching to it, but even
142 after it's well documented in the handbook, openrc will continue to be an
143 option for the foreseeable future, with several devs having stated quite
144 specifically that they use gentoo and depend on openrc in their jobs, so
145 whatever /else/ may happen to gentoo, openrc is *NOT* about to become
146 unsupported, as I said for the foreseeable future (which in practice
147 means at LEAST two years out as it'd take that long to switch over --
148 remember how long it took to stabilize baselayout-2, and more likely at
149 least five years, even if they voted that as a goal right now!).
150
151 OTOH, individual packages and specific desktop projects can change
152 dependencies based on what upstream supports, and gentoo/gnome is only
153 supporting systemd for some elements now.
154
155 Luckily for gentoo/kdeers, upstream kde has committed to maintaining more
156 systemd independence than has gnome, including with kde 5 frameworks.
157 And the modularization of kde-frameworks should make that much easier
158 too, over time, altho individual kde packages may eventually require
159 systemd. OTOH, gentooers have it better than most in that they have more
160 choice about actually installing individual packages, as well as keeping
161 upstream-optional dependencies actually optional.
162
163 We did almost lose the ability to opt-out of semantic-desktop, but
164 fortunately saner heads prevailed, and had they not done so in gentoo/kde,
165 a number of us users were making plans for a user-supported overlay
166 similar to the user-supported kde-sunset for kde3 users, to maintain
167 semantic-desktop-less kde4 at least until kde5/frameworks, at which point
168 we hoped upstream policies would bring back the option due to its
169 modularity. But while I actually had to maintain the semantic-desktop-
170 less ebuild patches locally for awhile in ordered to continue following
171 kde-live-branch, and I guess ~arch users faced the problem for a shorter
172 time, the policy thankfully reverted before stable users had to make that
173 painful choice.
174
175 But various devs have made it VERY clear, gentoo as a whole isn't going
176 to get anywhere /close/ to losing the openrc option, as I said, for the
177 foreseeable future.
178
179 And well before that were to happen, or even if gentoo really expected
180 stable users to switch to systemd in quantity, there'd be MUCH better
181 documentation, just as that was a prerequisite to the stable-side
182 baselayout-2, one of the big reasons it took years. Again, that's
183 exactly the reason users worried about gentoo suddenly switching to
184 systemd as it /looked/ like it might be doing here, have nothing to worry
185 about for at **LEAST** two years. A ship as big as gentoo simply doesn't
186 turn on a dime, nor can it be forced to, and even were the council to
187 suddenly get a brain transplant and vote that it should be the goal
188 today, it'd take years to actually implement, including for many gentoo
189 devs *AND* their employers.
194 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman