From: Marco Matthies <marco-ml@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] 64-bit or 32-bit?
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 11:16:12
Bertrand Jacquin wrote:
> The first exemple I wrote was in reality : > CFLAGS="-m32" emerge -avt mozilla-firefox > > To be clear : I don't want a chroot, because it make be 2 gentoo to > maintain and a lot of things unecessary ATM. > I would like portage build for me a software in 32 bit mode. > If it's a lib, I would like portage to install it in /emul/linux/x86 > if I tell him to do that
Sorry, i missed the part about you not wanting a chroot. As far as I know, portage currently does not support installing 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the same package, i.e. it does not know anything about the bitness a package was compiled for and therefore doesn't use this information for dependency resolution. In other words, it will not know that the X11 libs it installed are 64-bit and that the firefox you want to compile for 32-bits needs the 32-bit X11 libs. Marco -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
[gentoo-amd64] Re: 64-bit or 32-bit? Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>