From: Kyle Liddell <kyle@××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] boot Gentoo from USB key
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 06:50:25
1 On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 08:43:53AM +0200, Raffaele BELARDI wrote:
2 > In the process of building an amd64 diskless box, I am trying to make a
3 > bootable USB key with no success up to now.
4 >
5 > The kernel starts to load, but panics because it is unable to find the
6 > root partition. When it stops it shows the available partitions, these
7 > include all the hard disk partitions but no USB key partition. In fact,
8 > if I omit the 'root' parameter from the grub shell the boot works fine
9 > but it uses the hard disk root partition instead of the USB one.
10 >
11 > >From the log on the screen the USB controller seems correctly detected,
12 > so I don't understand why it is not finding the root. While writing this
13 > one idea comes to my mind, maybe it is failing because I attach the key
14 > to a SDC/MMC/USB card reader? This evening I'll try to plug it into a
15 > different USB slot.
18 Try adding the rootdelay=N kernel option. When I was running a laptop from a USB device, rootdelay=12 was the minimum that would always work. It takes a while to detect all the available USB devices, and rootdelay makes the kernel wait N seconds before trying to mount the given root device.
19 (Also, be sure you have usb_storage, etc compiled in.)
22 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list