From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Cannot emerge gcc-3.4.5
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 12:28:18
Stanislaw Jesmanowicz posted
<jqLu4PQv.1144670541.5541150.stan@××××××××××××××××.com>, excerpted below,
on Mon, 10 Apr 2006 14:02:21 +0200:

> Dear amd64 users, > > Since gcc3.4.5 is released ( two weeks ), I cannot emerge it successfully. > I get the error message showed below. > I have even installed 2006.0 distribution from scratch, and after > emerge sync, I get the same error. > > Is that known ? Do I miss something ? > > Regards, > Stan > > > ----- error --- message ---- > ... > ... > checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes > checking for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc... > /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.4.5/work/build/gcc/xgcc > -B/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.4.5/work/build/gcc/ > -B/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ -B/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/lib/ -isystem > /usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/include -isystem > /usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/sys-include -m32 > checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out > checking whether the C compiler works... configure: error: cannot run C > compiled programs. > If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'. > See `config.log' for more details. > make[1]: *** [configure-target-libstdc++-v3] Error 1 > make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.4.5/work/build' > make: *** [profiledbootstrap] Error 2 > > !!! ERROR: sys-devel/gcc-3.4.5 failed.
I have it merged here, with no issues that I recall. (However, I did merge it using gcc-4.1.0 as the compiler, IIRC, as I've unmasked and am running it as my default compiler.) So... have you done what it suggested and checked config.log in the working/compiling dir? Have you then traced the config.log error down to the line in the configure script to see what's going on? One of the issues I ran into a couple times (not with this package, but with this test in other packages) is that depending on exactly how it tests, it may not like certain CFLAGS (or CXXFLAGS, if it's a C++ compile). Thus, the usual advice applies -- try reducing your CFLAGS (or CXXFLAGS, but that shouldn't apply to this package) to the basics: CFLAGS="-march=k8 -pipe -O2" Just to cover something that comes up occasionally, that's NOT a zero in -O2, that's a "capital oh". <g> Depending on your display font, it might be worth retyping that part of your CFLAGS just to make sure it's right. If that doesn't help, post the error again, and config.log as well. It wouldn't hurt to include the configure script itself too, except that it's too big to be appropriate for the list. If you have a web site or other place you can put them to make them available for examination, maybe you could post both the config.log and the configure script itself there and post the URLs here. (Experts may be able to go from just the config.log, but I don't claim to be that good -- I nearly always have to reference the log against the configure script to see what it's actually doing that made the log print what it did.) -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list