From: Bernhard Auzinger <e0026053@×××××××××××××××××.at>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: System becomes almost unusable when compling c++ code
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 19:38:23
1 > emm, from my very personal point of view: no
2 >
3 > swap is horrible slow. Its use must be avoided at any cost. Swap sucks.
4 > Everything is faster than accessing swap. So hitting the disk to read or
5 > write some files is IMHO better than hitting the disk to shove X into swap.
6 >
7 > X in swap is another problem. You can be sure, if X is forced into swap,
8 > because gcc uses up all ram for itself, everything sucks. Mouse is jerky,
9 > windows need ages to get displayed.
10 >
11 > Everything that makes swapping more likely is bad advise and shall be
12 > avoided.
13
14 I'm that opinion too. Particularly when system and swap are on the same disk.
15 And even if swap and system are located on different disks, it's one of the
16 worst things that can happen to the performance of a system.
17
18 Anyway, I've never experienced such behaviour since I've always had enough
19 ram. And I never set portage niceness. Even on desktops with single cores,
20 100Hz timer frequency and without kernel preemption the system was
21 responsive. I think if a system gets "freezes" it must have something to do
22 with heavy IO-load and to less main memory.
23
24 Rgds
25 Bernhard
26 --