From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo AMD64 <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Measure network speeds between machines?
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2013 19:09:20
1 Hi,
2 Just taking a shot at the dark on this list before I ask something
3 in the forums. Is there a simple app (or even something at the command
4 line) that I can use to measure network throughput between two Gentoo
5 machines on my internal network?
6
7 Background: We sold our house & moved. Comcast talked me into
8 getting there new 'Blast' level Internet service with "speed up to
9 50Mb/S" but darned if it isn't slower than regular Comcast ISP service
10 was a the previous house. In our house I typically got about 27Mb/S
11 download using something like www.Speakeasy.net/speedtest at a
12 measurement tool. Here I've never gotten higher than 22Mb/S. I do
13 however get much better upload speeds - about 12Mb/S instead of the
14 5Mb/S I got at the house.
15
16 Granted, 'up to 50Mb/S' might mean 1Mb/S, but that's not the way
17 they market it. ;-)
18
19 Before I engage Comcast this apartment has wired Ethernet and a
20 provided 8-port switch in the wiring closet. I want to measure speeds
21 between machines going through that switch to ensure it's not causing
22 any problems.
23
24 Thanks,
25 Mark