From: Joshua Hoblitt <jhoblitt@××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Upgrading to Raid
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 10:01:07
1 I have a large number (more then a dozen) 3Ware 8500 and 9500 cards.
2 The majority of these are 12-port SATA cards with RAID 5 volumes on
3 them.
4
5 Three quick observations:
6
7 * Software RAID 5 on Linux WILL NOT remap bad blocks/sectors like a
8 hardware RAID controller. If you care about your data, software RAID
9 simply isn't an option.
10
11 * The RAID 5 performance of 3Ware controllers is terrible. The 9500
12 series cards can push 50-55MB/s with xfs and in the neighborhood of
13 45MB/s with ext3 (with an enlarged journal, etc.) for sequential writes,
14 random I/O is even worse. The 8500 cards are about 10% slower compared
15 to the 9500 once you fill up the on-card cache.
16
17 * Neither xfs or ext3 are reliable on volumes greater then 2TB. Nor can
18 fdisk even partition them (but lvm2 can handle them).
19
20 Cheers,
21
22 -J