From: Andreas Karlsson <hermes@××××.se>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] upgrade to 939 ~fx60 | am2 ~x2 5000+
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 16:12:59
1 On Sunday 23 July 2006 15:45, Dieter Ries wrote:
2 > now i want to upgrade, so i am going to wait until next week, see how
3 > prices develop. but i am not sure if i should stay with my 939 board with
4 > nforce4 or buy also a new am2 board.
5
6 I would guess a good move would be (if you have the budget) to upgrade to a
7 am2 motherboard. DDR2 prices are not higher than DDR, and getting a PCI-E
8 slot would make it future safe regarding graphics. Ofcurse that means
9 investing in a new motherboard, new memory, a new graphics card (if you don't
10 are at PCI-E already) and a new CPU.
11 What CPU to pick... My recomendation would be whatever is most bang for the
12 bucks after AMD's pricecuts.
13
14 > are there support problems with am2 chipsets? which mb's are the best? how
15 > big is the difference between a amd64 with DDR Ram on 939 and amd64 with
16 > DDR2 on AM2?
17
18 I don´t have personal experience of any am2 chipsets, but my guess is that
19 they right now don't differ much from the "old" 939 chipset, just slightly
20 modyfied to support DDR2.
21 The difference between DDR and DDR2 are according to most test slight to none,
22 but as speeds increase and latency is lowered things might change.
23 Check out this (http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=2741&p=1) anandtech
24 article comparing DDR with DDR2 memory. A good read.
25
26 Best regards,
27 Andreas Karlsson
28 Sweden