From: Jean-Marc Hengen <hengenj@×××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Amoeba file system
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2007 09:41:06
1 Hello,
2
3 a few comments on this topic:
4
5 You can simply emerge grub - as far as I know, grub is always build as
6 32bit-application! The kernel will change, while he is booting to the
7 64bit modus. This is how I have done it:
8
9 * sys-boot/grub
10 Installed versions: Version: 0.97-r3
11 Date: 15:03:53 01/16/07
12 USE: -custom-cflags -netboot -static
13
14 You may see, I haven't enabled any use-flag. (Note, the processor does
15 not start in 64bit modus, the application has to put it into this mode.
16 This is done by the kernel.)
17
18 Is there any reason, why you need partion magic - I needed only cfdisk
19 and that only once, when I created the different partitions. I also have
20 a Windows XP installed. Everthings works fine. After update I do the
21 following:
22 #grub
23 root (hd1,0) #Because linux doesn't really care, everything is on the
24 #second drive. Windows has it's own drive, hd0, which help
25 #to assure, that Windows is always installed on c - the
26 #windows installation always thought, that my ext2 boot
27 #partition is c, when Linux and Windows where installed on
28 #the same drive.
29 setup (hd0) #bios will still look on hd0 for MBR, so grub-MBR-piece
30 #goes there.
31 quit #and new grub will be used.
32
33 I'm only curious, you wrote about 64bit grub and 32bit grub - I hope you
34 didn't install sys-boot/grub and sys-boot/grub-static at the same time.
35 This would be a bad idea in my eyes. I hope, portage prevents someone
36 from doing this. If you had installed both, that may be the source of
37 your problem.
38
39 Jean-Marc
40 --