From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] New Jpeg-7 -- was Re: kdelibs insanity
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 13:44:57
1 On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 10:20:45 +0000 (UTC)
2 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
5 > > Many new packages that have been released
6 > > seem to break everything that depends on them. For example, a new jpeg
7 > > library, version 7, was released recently (which has not yet made it
8 > > into Gentoo) that will require a rebuild of every program that processes
9 > > images, and this includes the extensive GTK package as it uses libjpeg
10 > > for its pixbuffer loader.
11 >
12 > Thanks for the warning! I hadn't read anything about that one yet.
15 FWIW, I need to continue this comment.
16
17 Since I process a lot of images, libjpeg is very important to me. The new
18 jpeg-7 now includes arithmetic encoding which can produce smaller compressed
19 file sizes and there are also some changes to the scaling and quality features.
20 Unlike most Open Source packages, which are updated quite frequently (too
21 frequently?), jpeg-7 is the first new release since 1998.
22
23 Rather than wait for Gentoo to create the ebuilds for the new jpeg-7, I decided
24 to compile it myself and then list it in packages.provided. In addition,
25 the old jpeg-6 shared objects were kept, but all the include files and
26 static libraries for linking would refer to the new jpeg-7. In this way,
27 any update of a package that depends on libjpeg would be linked with the
28 new libraries, but any existing package that still needs jpeg-6 could be
29 left untouched. I don't like to have to re-compile everything at once. When
30 the time comes to update a package the new libraries will be available but until
31 then the old libraries will suffice. (Gentoo is flexible enough to nicely
32 accomodate this.)
33
34 However, after emerging a new GTK+, which automatically then became linked
35 to the new jpeg-7 libraries, I noticed a severe problem. Jpeg images viewed
36 using programs that depend on GTK+ -- and there are a lot of them -- were
37 strangely blurred and out of focus. Doing some searching, I found this
38 thread that explains the problem:
39
40 http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=75529
41
42 The issue is with the new scaling methods in jpeg-7. Programs such as firefox
43 and many others process images through GTK+ facilities, and GTK+ needs to be
44 patched before it can utilize the new jpeg-7. AFAIK, the GTK+ people do not
45 even yet know about this issue. Also, unless I am mistaken, any patch that
46 accommodates jpeg-7 will no longer function with jpeg-6.
47
48 So there ends my nice, neat plan to have both jpeg-7 and jpeg-6 together
49 serving my system. The situation also illustrates how unanticipated problems
50 can easily be injected into this loose but wonderful conglomeration known
51 as Open Source software.
52
53 Frank Peters