From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: boottime
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 10:29:39
1 On Thursday 13 November 2008, Duncan wrote:
2 > "Mark Haney" <mhaney@××××××××××××.org> posted
3 > 491B3FF7.7030602@××××××××××××.org, excerpted below, on Wed, 12 Nov 2008
4 >
5 > 15:43:35 -0500:
6 > > jevezze@××××××××××××.com wrote:
7 > >> I allready took everything out of my kernel but is there a big
8 > >> difference with modules or buildin's ? And X allready starts at boot.
9 > >>
10 > >> And why shouldn't I use genkernel?
11 > >
12 > > I don't know about moving X, but this is a thread I thought about
13 > > starting yesterday so this is very timely. I'll look at X to see how
14 > > things are affected.
15 >
16 > I'd suggest /not/ putting X in the boot runlevel, unless you're one of
17 > the "It's not booted until I have a nice pretty GUI with a pointer to
18 > click stuff because I don't know how to use the command line" folks, and
19 > on Gentoo at least, those folks should be comparatively rare, since
20 > Gentoo never has been and is not now designed for folks who aren't
21 > willing to be their own admins, including those scared of the command
22 > line. There's other distributions that are a better fit for people who
23 > prefer to let someone else do the command line and admin stuff.
24
25 there are people who know how to use a commandline and STILL want X. In fact
26 out of 100 boots I want X 99 times - and I guess most people want X too. So
27 just because you 'think' gentoo users don't like X, does not make it true at
28 all.
31 > Here, even tho I'm on an always-on Internet connection, I boot to
32 > initlevel 2, nonetwork, and without X as well. I start all services
33 > (including named and privoxy, which are normally of use only when the
34 > net's up, but don't require it; they start fast enough) except ntp/ntp-
35 > client and the network they depend on. This way, if I'm just doing local
36 > admin work, say backups, or doing a git-bisect/build/install/reboot cycle
37 > while debugging a kernel regression, I get a faster boot, and don't end
38 > up constantly connecting to the NTP servers I sync to, every time I
39 > reboot.
40
41 and for most people such a runlevel would be very, very useless. Add to that
42 that after a boot you have to log in as root and then switch to the right boot
43 level - another 20seconds lost.
44
45 *snip the rest because it is too long to read and usual duncan talk*.
46
47 a) yes we know you have great hardware
48 b) the topic was 'how to boot faster' and not 'how to make everything suck the
49 duncan way'.
50
51 Why fiddle around with breaky scripts, if kdm, gdm, whatever can do that for
52 you? In a proven and stable way?
53
54 And why booting into a useless runlevel (and a runlevel without network is
55 useless, for doing root stuff - except everything is broken) and then start
56 all the stuff you need manually? Sounds really, really stupid.
57
58 c) putting X in boot is something even gentoo devs do. So not only stupid
59 users are 'infected' with that meme
60
61 d) command line and X are not exclusive. In fact - konsole beats the shit out
62 io vts in every aspect. And I can have a lot more konsole sessions then vt's.