From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted.
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 00:02:58
1 On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:17:18 -0600
2 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > What are some things that I should watch for and enable that isn't so
6 > obvious for someone new to 64 bit?
9 The first thing to decide is whether or not you want a pure 64-bit
10 system or a 64-bit system that keeps 32-bit capability.
11
12 I am a purist. I left 32-bit programs in the dust a long time ago.
13 But as a consequence there are some things that I will miss because
14 they are available in 32-bit packages only. An example would be
15 Acroread, the PDF viewer, from Adobe. Without Acroread, you will
16 only view pdf files through the 64-bit xpdf. The Intel C++
17 compiler is another example. In fact, most commercial software
18 that bothers to release a Linux version will do so in 32-bit
19 format only.
20
21 So if you need to make use of those offerings, you'll need
22 to keep 32-bit compatibility.
23
24 My own view is that these software developers are way behind
25 the times and should have long ago made their products in
26 a 64-bit form. It's not that difficult to do.
27
28 Whatever the choice, pure 64-bit or 64/32, Gentoo makes it
29 easy.
30
31 Frank Peters