From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo AMD64 <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Heads Up Kernel-3.11 Nvidia-drivers
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 20:25:26
1 On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 12:51 PM, Barry Schwartz
2 <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> skribis:
4 >> 2) Drop nvidia-drivers and try nouveau. May be a reasonable video
5 >> direction - my screen-based video/graphics needs are not high -
6 >> however I have long terms needs of accessing the GPU as a compute
7 >> engine in R so I _think_ I have to stick with nvidia-drivers to do
8 >> that. Maybe not but I don't know at this time and I could deal with
9 >> that later. (I know Duncan's vote, if he's reading, goes here.) :-)
10 >
11 > I’ve had real trouble with nouveau graphics, not considering cuda
12 > computing issues, and so have resigned myself to nvidia’s fetters for
13 > the while. I’d switch graphics cards to be freer but, like fictional
14 > Jerry Seinfeld’s nana, I’m ‘on a very fixed income’. :)
17 She's a great lady. Gotta luv her, and you're advice also. :-)
18
19 One thing I hate about my current setup is that with two different
20 nvidia cards OpenGL only works on the 2 screens attached to the
21 GTX465. No video apps work on the 3rd display, and the KDE OpenGL
22 features like (from memory - it's been so loon) Alt-F8, or whatever it
23 was that allows me to see all 6 desktops at once, don't work at all.
24 My friends machine which has 2 8400's work perfectly in that respect.
25
26 Finding a new card isn't out of the question. I'd prefer to find a
27 single card that drove 4 monitors, like maybe one or two of the
28 Quadro's do, but it's money and risk as I don't know of any Gentoo
29 User types using those cards.
30
31 I suspect I can disassociate the CUDA stuff if I have to. I don't have
32 to tell X11 that the 465 is in the machine, and I have 3 PCI Express
33 slots so I could potentially have 2 VGAs and 1 CUDA. (I think...)
34
35 Thanks for the inputs.
36
37 Cheers,