From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Symlinks vs. Bind mounts.
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 15:05:49
1 2008/8/12 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
2
3 > Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com> posted
4 > d257c3560808120130o55c0c805n69bda3ed4cb9a823@××××××××××.com, excerpted
5 > below, on Tue, 12 Aug 2008 08:30:44 +0000:
6 >
7 > > if you're still using something the kernel won't kill nothing. the
8 > > behaviour you're referencing is the kernel cached pages. when you use
9 > > something you load it into memory. after you finish using it then the
10 > > kernel will continue to hold the pages in ram as cached pages, if you
11 > > have enough space to be able to speed up the eventual future reuse of
12 > > that particular object.
13 >
14 > Beso, I think he was referring to being totally out of memory+swap, thus
15 > triggering the kernel OOM (out of memory) killer.
16 >
17 > Yes, that can happen. However, in practice, at least from my experience,
18 > before the kernel ever gets to the point of actually killing anything,
19 > the system becomes basically unresponsive anyway, as the kernel searches
20 > for every last bit of memory it can recover to use for whatever is taking
21 > it all. I've never had that happen since I switched to /tmp on tmpfs so
22 > I don't know how it works in regard to that -- presumably it'd consider
23 > it temporary and kill it before killing applications, but I don't know
24 > that for sure -- but I did have it happen once when I had swap turned off
25 > and only a gig of memory -- and tried to scan something at an incredibly
26 > high resolution that would have used over a gig of memory for the scan
27 > data alone, had I had it there to use! Even with swap turned off, the
28 > system was unusable, as the kernel was still looking for every bit of
29 > memory it could find some 15 minutes or so into unresponsiveness, when I
30 > gave up and hit the reset. I don't know how much longer it would have
31 > continued before triggering the OOM killer, but it wasn't worth waiting
32 > around to find out.
33 >
34 > BTW, I did have a runaway process once some-time later (before I set
35 > system per-process memory limits using ulimit, see "help ulimit" at the
36 > bash prompt), after I had upgraded to 8 gigs RAM, with 16 gigs swap as 4
37 > partitions of 4 gigs each, on 4 different hard drives (with priority set
38 > equal so the kernel striped them for 4X swap speed). That worked much
39 > better as I didn't let it get quite out of memory before killing it, but
40 > I did let the process go long enough to have it eat up the 8 gigs of
41 > regular memory plus 15 gigs or so of swap before I killed it, just to see
42 > how responsive the system remained while nearly 16 gigs into swap after I
43 > had 4-way striped it. The system was a bit draggy at that, but it was
44 > certainly WAY more responsive than that time I let it get totally out of
45 > memory with NO swap, and responsive enough that I could still kill the
46 > runaway process when I decided it was getting too close to leaving me in
47 > the same situation again. (While I let it run until 15 out of 16 gigs
48 > swap were used, I had setup a high priority root shell with the kill -9
49 > command waiting for me to hit enter... before it got far into swap, just
50 > in case.) I'd have hated to have been 16 gigs into swap on a single-
51 > spindle swap system, that's for sure!
52 >
53 > So anyway, make sure you have enough memory+swap to compile OOo, and you
54 > shouldn't have any major problems. FWIW, I set my max capacity on the
55 > tmpfs to 6 GB, since I knew OOo took 5+ gigs as the largest package, tho
56 > I've never actually compiled it. And of course with 8 gigs RAM and 16
57 > gigs swap, I have 24 gigs mem+swap to play with, and the 6 gig max tmpfs
58 > doesn't get anywhere near that, so I'm fine.
59 >
60 > BTW, Chris G, one of the devs in the game herd, has mentioned that there
61 > are a couple game-data packages that actually require more scratch-space
62 > to merge than OOo, but of course they aren't compiled, so if the system
63 > runs out of room installing them, no big deal, just create a sufficiently
64 > large temporary swap file or switch PORTAGE_TMPDIR back to disk
65 > temporarily, and retry. It's not like you're losing hours of work like
66 > would be possible if OOo ran out of room while emerging. Plus at least
67 > personally, I don't have to worry about that since the games in question
68 > aren't freedomware anyway, so I'd never install them in the first place.
71 does it really worth to compile OOo instead of just downloading the bin
72 version?! the last time i've tried it the ammount of space taken "hostage",
73 the slowness of compilation and the really small improvement in speed (as
74 well as the other deps to install) made me chose the 32bit precompiled bin
75 package.
78 dott. ing. beso