From: "Morgan Wesström" <gentoo-amd64@×××××××××.biz>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: grub fs support
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 19:09:38
1 Bob Sanders wrote:
2 > Morgan Wesström, mused, then expounded:
3 >>> I answered that initially. Grub does not support ext3 or ext4.
4 >>>
5 >> # mount | grep boot
6 >> /dev/sda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw,noatime)
7 >>
8 >> GRUB working fine with ext3 here...
9 >> /Morgan
12 > For now. Grub supports ext2. It may or may not work properly
13 > with journaled file systems, depending upon phase of the moon,
14 > current tide level, etc.
15 >
16 > Grub 2.0 is supposed to have much more solid support. But it's not
17 > ready yet.
18 >
19 > So why actively try to break it, when it's known that it's not solid
20 > with journaled file systems and isn't going to be fixed? Ext4 is
21 > new, grub only needs a small partition - 128 MB or less. And it's
22 > only for booting the system. Why is there a need for all the overhead
23 > of a journaled file system for grub?
24 >
25 > Bob
26 > -
29 Bob, you're reading way too much into my response. I was merely
30 commenting on the obviously false statement that GRUB doesn't support
31 ext3. I have no opinion on the suitability of using ext3 (or ext4 for
32 that matter) on your boot partition. For all I know, ext3 and ext2 are
33 identical apart from the journal and GRUB probably even don't touch it
34 since it's only reading from the boot partition...
35 /Morgan