From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Eselect Syntax Bug?
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 14:04:59
1 I had first noticed this problem some time ago.
2
3 Running eselect, a bash script, always fails with the errors:
4
5 `ec_do_list-options': not a valid identifier
6 `ec_do_list-modules': not a valid identifier
7
8 This is not surprising. In bash, any variable or function should not
9 contain a hyphen because it could be mistaken for the subtraction
10 operator. Indeed, replacing these variables with
11
12 ec_do_list_options
13 ec_do_list_modules
14
15 completely fixes the problem and allows eselect to do its job normally.
16
17 But why has not such an obvious mistake been observed before?
18
19 Has anyone else executed an unmodified eselect without error?
20
21 Is there more to this issue than meets the eye?
22
23 I can't file a bug report on this until I get some confirmation.
24
25 Frank Peters