From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo AMD64 <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Can I disable PREMPT_RCU?
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 19:52:09
1 Hi,
2 I've been having a problem with new versions of Virtualbox hanging
3 my system completely, but only if I use the CONFIG_PREEMPT option.
4 I.e. - Preemptable Kernel (Low Latency Desktop) The problem does not
5 occur if I select Voluntary Preemption.
6
7 The Oracle guys who do Virtualbox development has asked me to try
8 full preempt but disable the PREEMPT_RCU option as a test. I think
9 possibly Paul McKenney works on the RCU stuff and also frequenct this
10 list so possibly he or someone else here can tell me where I find the
11 option to completely disable the RCU stuff. (If it exists...)
12
13 I'm currently running gentoo-sources-3.10.19, trying to build 3.10.20.
14
15 Specifically, here's where I am now:
16
17 c2RAID6 linux # cat .config | grep PREEMPT
18 CONFIG_TREE_PREEMPT_RCU=y
19 CONFIG_PREEMPT_RCU=y
20 CONFIG_PREEMPT_NOTIFIERS=y
21 # CONFIG_PREEMPT_NONE is not set
22 # CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY is not set
23 CONFIG_PREEMPT=y
24 CONFIG_PREEMPT_COUNT=y
25 CONFIG_DEBUG_PREEMPT=y
26 c2RAID6 linux #
27
28 I found General Setup-> RCU Subsystem but I'm ot clear what option
29 might allow me to do what I think the Oracle devs are asking me to do.
30
31 If I need a newer/different kernel let me know.
32
33 Thanks,
34 Mark