From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: accelerated X 7.1 & ATI card
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 00:09:20
1 p.pruszczak@××××××××.pl posted
2 20060819202354Z1439334-16412+8@××××××××××××××.pl, excerpted below, on
3 Sat, 19 Aug 2006 22:23:40 +0200:
4
5 > I just have a simple question : could anybody who uses xorg-x11 7.1
6 > (~amd64 arch) && have accelerated display on OPEN drivers (NOT ATI) send
7 > to me the xorg.conf file ??
8 >
9 > I would be very happy to see "what am I doing wrong ??" ;))
10 >
11 > here is what lspci says about my video card:
12 >
13 > "VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV370 5B60 [Radeon X300
14 > (PCIE)]"
15
16 Support for the RV300 series is /very/ new and still somewhat
17 experimental. You may get 2D but not 3D support. You are also likely to
18 have better luck with the latest xorg 7.2, which may still be masked, I'm
19 not sure (I loaded it when it was).
20
21 I'm still running a 200 series card (Radeon 9200), and it works well, but
22 your 300 series card support is enough newer that results aren't likely to
23 be the same.
24
25 I'm on my way to work now, but will send my Radeon driver and xorg-server
26 numbers after work, so you can compare. Or just look and unmask
27 accordingly. Note that the latest xorg-server and drivers need unmasked
28 in parallel, as the ABI changed and you can't run an old/new mix.
33 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
36 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list