From: "Michael Weyershäuser" <thedude0001@×××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Another package that doesn't like GCC 4
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 00:54:38
1 Jack Lloyd wrote:
2 > I would think it would still be useful to have know, so the ebuild
3 > could use filter-flags to prevent this problem from occuring for
4 > others (if it is in fact a CFLAGS problem).
5
6 It might depend on the flag we're talking about, but filter-flags and
7 replace-flags is mostly used for ebuilds that don't work with supported
8 flags (like an ebuild that doesn't like -Os but needs -O2). There has
9 been a debate a couple of weeks back if ebuilds should even filter
10 -ffast-math as this is a flag that breaks dozens of packages, sometimes
11 in sneaky, hard-to-debug ways, or if the ebuild should just die if it
12 finds that flag.
13
14 You're free to try, but the idea is that while you have a lot of choices
15 when using Gentoo it is not the devs duty to stop you from making bad
16 choices or protect you from their effects.